IGNORED

77 280z Restoration

Av8ferg

This used to be a hot topic and John Coffey actually measured a bunch of half shafts, compressed, and found that they were all the same length.  He had the work on his Beta Motorsport site for a while and then on a separate Facebook page but I think it's all gone now.  I think the original subject was about why half shafts bind in 240Z when you install an R200.  The question never really got a good answer.  But at least a bunch of half shafts got measured.

One of the Z books, maybe the Humble Restoration book, has a TSB in it about Nissan removing one of the ball spacers in the half shaft so that it would extend further, so a longer shaft suggests a newer half shaft.  But, compressed they're all the same. 

In short, there's not really a left or right shaft.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Thanks ZedHead, I appreciate the information! Maybe I’ll get them in today but will be headed to work soon…so more she’ll be sitting again. I think I predicted this would take 6 weeks to complete…I’m on target. I still have to install the new rear springs and shocks back there..(let’s add 2 week for that). life happens [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree 1

I have a question about half shaft lubrication.    I bought a standard hand pump grease gun to lubricate the half shaft joints.  The grease gun fitting it too big to fit into the space where the zerk fittings are.  I looked at three parts stores nearby and all the gun fittings are the same size (Clerk said its the industry standard) as the one I bought.  Not sure if anyone else has run into this.  I wanted to grease this joints up before I install the half shafts.   Anyone ideas.  

image.jpeg

I have old faded brain cells with a mental picture of a ground down tip on a grease gun in order to be able to fit into the small opening on the half shafts.

In other words... Many moons ago I think I modified a grease gun to be able to get in there. I don't think I have that gun anymore though to confirm.

• Agree 1

Some u-joints have a little screw (that you can replace temporary by a nipple) others have a nipple already in them.. I had once the same problem and... you can solve that by buying some extra long nipples!  😉 

After you greased the shafts you put in (back) the little screws to close the holes..

(This was a message about greasing shafts,nipples and holes... 🙈 do NOT google  this! 🤣)

I have old faded brain cells with a mental picture of a ground down tip on a grease gun in order to be able to fit into the small opening on the half shafts.
In other words... Many moons ago I think I modified a grease gun to be able to get in there. I don't think I have that gun anymore though to confirm.

Thanks Bruce. I have a table grinder and googles [emoji41]….I’ll give it a go and report back. Hoping to get the new springs in today, we shall see. I have an old flight helmet to protect me if the spring compressor fails [emoji23]. Safety first !

Some u-joints have a little screw (that you can replace temporary by a nipple) others have a nipple already in them.. I had once the same problem and... you can solve that by buying some extra long nipples!  [emoji6] 
After you greased the shafts you put in (back) the little screws to close the holes..

(This was a message about greasing shafts,nipples and holes... [emoji85] do NOT google  this! [emoji1787])

This will be my second solution if grinding the fitting doesn’t work.

Good advice on the good search. I can see the conversation now! “Who was googling “grinding nipples, or greasing nipples”. I have a 15 year old, so it’s no out of the realm of possible.

• Haha 2

So removing the rear spring was uneventful. No helmet required. I got one side compete today. When I pulled the old spring and shock off I found an insulator from 260z. The only reason I know that it is because it has yellow writing on from what would be a salvage yard and said “74z. R” see pic.

Height difference seems to be about 1 1/4” lower. Looks better, another 1/2” would have been perfect. I have Eibach springs, and a 240z insulator. See pics below. I think once the car rolls a bit it will sit lower. It just came off a jack so the wheels are still canted inwards.
Also got the half shafts greased up used the Captain Obvious “grind” method. Thanks CO!

D2525BDF-EE2F-4342-8B5F-90F48A0EFDBE.jpeg

AFF6A870-4265-4896-AC52-D5219ED29A23.jpeg

1D2B5182-FDC3-4AA0-BF2F-C4B974DBA473.jpeg

7FE57121-59E4-49B0-9E2D-4B67F543D3A3.jpeg

A826543B-738F-4D61-AA21-D77C3F20C3B6.jpeg

Edited by Av8ferg
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...