IGNORED

Black Friday Tool Buy: Are Deep Sockets needed/helpful for Z?

Muzez

Was cruising Black Friday deals to buy a 6 point impact socket set since all of my 1/2" drive are 12 point and I am tired of stripping my old rusty fasteners. I took a look around my 280z last night, and I don't see a lot of bolts that require a deep socket, but is it worth it to have a deep set? 

My plan was to buy the Tekton standard set (SID92321 8-24mm) and save the money I would have paid for a deep set ($80) to put towards batteries for my impact, but I saw GearWrench is running a promo for the standard & deep kit (84948N 8-30mm) for 50% off ($120, normally $235) that comes with a universal head and a few additional sockets on the top and bottom end.

Do I save the extra $60 in the GW kit for parts and other tools? Or buy the bigger GW set even know frequency of use might be low but I will always be covered?

Edited by Muzez

Not a Black Friday deal, but I found this universal drive 1/4 socket set comes in handy when removing the nuts from the studs on the intake and exhaust manifolds: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0021I2KDO

Note: I have a similar set with a 3/8 drive, but they can't fit into some of the nooks and crannies as easily as the 1/4 drive sockets.

• Like 1

I've had deep wells, both metric and SAE, in my tool box for 50 years. Most are 3/8" drive, but  I also have full sets of 1/2" drive deep well impact sockets. And as noted above, sometimes 1/4" drive deep wells come in handy for small diameter bolts or tight clearance areas. 

Edited by Pilgrim

8 hours ago, Terrapin Z said:

I have always found the 10mm snap off just fine with a standard socket, no impact gun needed. 😅

How about that double deep though???? 😎

Yeah I just snapped one of those off while trying to remove my front bumper and the cosmetics that go along with it. Always surprised these things hold together as well as they do with soft fasteners. 

• Agree 1

Thanks to your comments and suggestions, I bought an extra 10mm and 12mm wrench.  One can never have enough 10mm and 12mm wrenches.  I also bought a spoon dolly for a couple of hard to reach dents I need to deal with.  I have been wanting this dolly for quite a while.

• Like 1