IGNORED

Front Sway Bar End Links....Too Short

Av8ferg

This is frustrating. I’ve been fighting these ends links for some time. Gave up a few weeks ago to to finish up the engine install work but I need to put this suspension bits to rest.
I bought theses End Link/bushing set from MSA. They seem too short. I looked at previous threads with people having similar problems but those solutions don’t solve mine. Jacking up the strut won’t change the dynamics here. The bolts are either too short or the sleeve in the middle of the end links is too long. I can either buy a bolt 1/2” longer or shave the sleeves down a bit on a grinder. Shaving the inner sleeve will change the sway bar geometry but a longer bolt has no consequence as I see it. Anyone had to deal with this? Stock sway bar BTW. Why does everything have to be a challenge?

7b07d72459b66ce9a158d6b969d46a4b.jpg
99888f536a8a637dfd9077c0554c70c2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah it's a pain to get the nut on there.. i've seen some rubbers that are a bit (Half?) as big as i see on your pic.. that pointy part i've never seen on the originals maybe if you cut those off (near the eye ot the sway bar?  (try first only the upper one.)

(I had the same once on a 280zx and last time i bought some with extra long thread on them so i did'nt have that problem.. after installing i can take of the thread thats sticking out.. (haven't done that yet.. it's not in the way..))

Edited by dutchzcarguy

I had to use a longer bolt when I switched to the energy suspension poly bushings. I’m surprised it ships with short bolts.

man that suspension looks clean, nice work. Powder coat?

Thanks, yes I had a local guy here sandblast everything and powder coat it all satin black. Wasn’t that expensive either. Probably cost me $250 to do the entire front suspension with him . That included that brush guard plate.

So these end links bolts are 6” and there is NO WAY I’m going to be able to persuade them on. It’s a 3/8” bolt that’s 6 inches long. I couldn’t find one in 3/8” longer than 6” at ACE. Really need a 7” bolt to make this happen. Will try Lowe’s or AutoZone next, or go to Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same problems with my energy suspension poly bushings. My solution was a block of wood cut to length and wedged between the body and the swaybar.

The top nut was fastened a couple of turns and then I used a jack to push the control arm up and compress the bushes enough to fit the lower nut.

The photos might make it a little clearer🤔

IMG_0796.JPG

IMG_0795.JPG

IMG_0798.JPG

• Like 1