IGNORED

Preventing rust in the Z's lower front fenders

inline6

8 minutes ago, dutchzcarguy said:

If Mikes are miles..  😉  thats just a 1000 km a year.. i drove those as well in my 240z every WINTER!  and last winter the left fender came loose.. (lower rear end)  it was rotten round the bolt i guess.. the car needs a resto after it had one in 1998..  

I think thats normal wear on the fenders.. after the 280zx is ready maybe i make some new parts for the 240z fenders. sandblast the corner and repair whats necessary.

(Yeah i drive a 240z in the snow, better than a 300zxtt, that would be a pity..  also a 240z chassis is much easyer to protect and repair if necessary. Also a 300 would be all but problems due to his weight and a 240z is lightfooted and a blast to drive in the snow!) 

Oops, yes miles. Before the 1982 resto mine had a flapping fender as well, LOL. Here's what it looked like...

CCI11152021.jpg

On 11/14/2021 at 4:51 AM, inline6 said:

The chromated epoxy primer I have been using is pretty bad-arse. 

Hope that stuff has nothing to do with the CHROME-6  stuff that was used here in the Netherlands on trains... there were a lot of people very sick from chrome-6 in 2015.. still are..

Chrome in paint is.. i think a lot of trouble when you need to sand it or any other kind of work on it is done..   It is confermed that you will get cancer of that stuff...

2 minutes ago, CanTechZ said:

mine had a flapping fender as well,

HAHA.. yeah... mine came off on the parking near the supermarket..  i left it flapping on the way home.. drilled some fast self drilling screws right through it and.... now after a year they are still in there! 🙈 oh well.. maybe in a year or 2...

Get this.. overhere all cars need a MOT  we call it an APK  ( algemene periodieke keuring)  except !!  cars of 50 years and older !!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Hahaha... the rules are crazy if you ask me?  This means a 240z of 50 is no longer needed to get checked by a technician... oh well i look after it but i'm not a "APK"Inspector!

13 minutes ago, dutchzcarguy said:

HAHA.. yeah... mine came off on the parking near the supermarket..  i left it flapping on the way home.. drilled some fast self drilling screws right through it and.... now after a year they are still in there! 🙈 oh well.. maybe in a year or 2...

Get this.. overhere all cars need a MOT  we call it an APK  ( algemene periodieke keuring)  except !!  cars of 50 years and older !!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Hahaha... the rules are crazy if you ask me?  This means a 240z of 50 is no longer needed to get checked by a technician... oh well i look after it but i'm not a "APK"Inspector!

Funny how "temporary" is a relative term in "temporary repairs".

Re: inspections, gotta love the thinking of government.

• Haha 2

Looking at the BASF Glasurit 801-703 chromated epoxy primer's safety data sheet (SDS), it is a "horror show" from the perspective of having cancer causing ingredients which include both the solvent xylene as well as the "active ingredients" strontium and barium chromate.  Chromate is what we chemists call "chromium six", abbreviated as Cr(VI), and it is exceeding dangerous in long-term occupational exposure.

If you work with such a product, it is probably not too bad when you are applying the wet mixture - but do that with proper ventilation and other PPE, please.  But, if you EVER have to sand, media blast or otherwise disturb the dry film - even years later - you absolutely need to do so outdoors, fully protected and well away from any area where people or animals would be likely to roam afterwards.  Literally, that dust could end up killing you.

I once worked on a contract for the USAF to clean up the waste streams from a parts reconditioning facility in Utah that did a lot of electroplating with, among other things, cadmium and Cr(VI) solutions.  By the time the waste streams got to the treatment facility, the Cr(VI) and mostly been reduced to chromium four, Cr(IV), which is still every bit as dangerous as Cr(VI) but not as reactive.  I always wondered about the folks who had to haul the sludge away to a HAZMAT landfill.

Edited by Seppi72
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Seppi72 said:

Looking at the BASF Glasurit 801-703 chromated epoxy primer's safety data sheet (SDS), it is a "horror show" from the perspective of having cancer causing ingredients which include both the solvent xylene as well as the "active ingredients" strontium and barium chromate.  Chromate is what we chemists call "chromium six", abbreviated as Cr(VI), and it is exceeding dangerous in long-term occupational exposure.

If you work with such a product, it is probably not too bad when you are applying the wet mixture - but do that with proper ventilation and other PPE, please.  But, if you EVER have to sand, media blast or otherwise disturb the dry film - even years later - you absolutely need to do so outdoors, fully protected and well away from any area where people or animals would be likely to roam afterwards.  Literally, that dust could end up killing you.

I once worked on a contract for the USAF to clean up the waste streams from a parts reconditioning facility in Utah that did a lot of electroplating with, among other things, cadmium and Cr(VI) solutions.  By the time the waste streams got to the treatment facility, the Cr(VI) and mostly been reduced to chromium four, Cr(IV), which is still every bit as dangerous as Cr(VI) but not as reactive.  I always wondered about the folks who had to haul the sludge away to a HAZMAT landfill.

Thanks for the info.  I spray with a 3M mask with charcoal filters.  I am guessing is reasonably ok.  I have absolutely sanded by hand, and wear nothing more than a N95 particle mask.  I will be more careful in the future.  

I don't think you have to go full moon suit.  An N95 ought tp be good enough to protect your lungs as long as you don't go sticking your face into a cloud of dust.  What would concern me more is whatever might get into your eyes or you might pick up on your hands, hair and clothes and then inhale as you shake off the dust.  Do that outside in a breeze blowing away from your loved ones.

And, just to be realistic, not every exposure to Cr(VI) results in a cancer.  It's the occupational exposures or, damn us all for allowing unbridled industrialism, the unknowing long-term exposure in your drinking water or air that will get you.  Watch the movie Erin Brockovich.

• Like 1