IGNORED

Headlights not working

zdude1967

So the headlights on my late model 260z are not working on brights or regular. The brights blue rectangle in the tach does not light up either. This car has a newer headlight switch and turn-signal switch and I think the headlight harness upgrade as well.

It has worked in the past until last night when I was out late then expected and tried to turn them on...that was fun

Does this car have a headlight relay(s). Fuse is ok.  My electrical skill level weak so please keep explanations very simple. As always I appreciate any help

28 minutes ago, zdude1967 said:

So the headlights on my late model 260z are not working on brights or regular. The brights blue rectangle in the tach does not light up either. This car has a newer headlight switch and turn-signal switch and I think the headlight harness upgrade as well.

It has worked in the past until last night when I was out late then expected and tried to turn them on...that was fun

Does this car have a headlight relay(s). Fuse is ok.  My electrical skill level weak so please keep explanations very simple. As always I appreciate any help

Start by giving us more background on the car.

Who put in the new switches and why? Why do you think it has a headlight harness upgrade? The one sold by MSA/Dave Irwin has relays, but @Zs-ondabrain(aka Dave Irwin) had to modify the headlight connectors to make it work.

Do you have a test light? Do you feel comfortable taking things apart? Are the parking lights working?

Edited by SteveJ

14 hours ago, zdude1967 said:

This car has a newer headlight switch

They have .. i assume.. the same old contacts that used to work with the old 45-50 watt lamps and these days the lamps are 55-60 watt and thats just enough to ruin these contacts.. i would start with checking these switches and check contacts when there is no conductivity. (also check fuses of course.)

Steve J

I put the new turn signal and headlight switch in a few years back one of the reasons was to fix the turn signals not working. I also replaced the hazard switch for the same reason. Since my my skills to evaluate electrical issues is weak I generally just replace things until the problem is solved and things work correctly. I think this is called a swap- nician, like a technician but with poor skills- LOL.  As far as the headlight harness update I am not sure which one I put in- I need to look through me receipts to determine that. If I recall correctly the upgrade does have a single new style modern fuse in it- if that is of any help. The parking lights are working, the turn signal (right side) stopped working about a year ago. I have not tried to track down the issue regarding that problem. The rebuilt turn signal switch did not come with the connector attached- It came with the pins ( I think it is 9 pin) and I had to crimp them on and slide them into the new connector, the pieces were included just not assembled. I assume the turn signal issue may be be something loose in that connector. I do have a multi meter and when I use it (very infrequently) I watch a you tube video on how it works. I do feel comfortable taking things apart with electrical I just feel like I have no idea what I am doing

I have I have removed and reinstalled the engine, replaced the clutch, rebuilt the suspension, generally rebuilt the car, even painted it after watching too many episodes of overhaulin but I am completely in the dark with electrical.

1 hour ago, zdude1967 said:

Steve J

I put the new turn signal and headlight switch in a few years back one of the reasons was to fix the turn signals not working. I also replaced the hazard switch for the same reason. Since my my skills to evaluate electrical issues is weak I generally just replace things until the problem is solved and things work correctly. I think this is called a swap- nician, like a technician but with poor skills- LOL.  As far as the headlight harness update I am not sure which one I put in- I need to look through me receipts to determine that. If I recall correctly the upgrade does have a single new style modern fuse in it- if that is of any help. The parking lights are working, the turn signal (right side) stopped working about a year ago. I have not tried to track down the issue regarding that problem. The rebuilt turn signal switch did not come with the connector attached- It came with the pins ( I think it is 9 pin) and I had to crimp them on and slide them into the new connector, the pieces were included just not assembled. I assume the turn signal issue may be be something loose in that connector. I do have a multi meter and when I use it (very infrequently) I watch a you tube video on how it works. I do feel comfortable taking things apart with electrical I just feel like I have no idea what I am doing

I have I have removed and reinstalled the engine, replaced the clutch, rebuilt the suspension, generally rebuilt the car, even painted it after watching too many episodes of overhaulin but I am completely in the dark with electrical.

Well, if the relay setup has one fuse, have you tried changing that fuse?

I just did some time with the Z and I think my switch may be the issue. I replaced it with a rebuilt one from E-bay a few years back. It seems like it is not moving correctly, as you click through the off position - to accessories- to on- it is just not smooth. It also seems to maybe not click well into the on position. It did make the lights work for a short time then failed again. My question is it possible to dissemble it and try to clean it or do I just try to get another one. Also my wiring upgrade is the "parking light upgrade harness " by David Irwin of Marysville Washington. I wanted to verify which one I had so I looked up the paperwork on it. 

Look forward to hearing back

18 hours ago, zdude1967 said:

a rebuilt one from E-bay

I first would have liked to see pics of the contacts of that switch.. before buying it.. most are half way gone.  i don't like the stuff they sell on Ebay..

When the switch is not clicking/feeling right it IS the culprit most times..  it needs to have a sharp click in it. You can take it apart but some experience on objects with springs in it comes in handy