IGNORED

Odd issue with turn signal wiring/switch

eastcoastz

No problem eastcoastz.

Front turn signal light bulbs have 2 filaments and 2 wires.

Rear turn signal bulbs and reverse light bulbs have one filament and if I remember correctly both brake light bulbs have 2 filaments.

Edited by dhp123166

This is a drawing of the "female" side of the turn signal connector.  My understanding is that the original turn signals consisted of 2 filaments and 3-wire (one wire for turn signal, one for the parking light, and one for ground). 

It seems as though the wiring to the turn signals is working properly since the hazards lights work... what am I missing?

@dhp123166 - is it correct to assume that the new connector that you put on the turn signal switch should plug into the original stock connector or should I definitely replace the stock one with the new "female" connector that you included?

IMG_5754.jpg

You don't have to use the male part of locking connector, the female part of the connector will function as stock.

Check for continuity on the green wire to green/ red wire while the lever is to the left.

Check for continuity on the green wire to green/ black wire while the lever is to the right.

@dhp123166 - I did some more testing this afternoon. 

When the lever in up (right signal) and put my multi-meter on the continuity setting, I am showing continuity between green-->white/black and green-->green/red.  If I switch my multi-meter from the continuity setting to the Ohms setting, I get .00 on these connections, however if I put one probe on the green and one on the green/black or white/red (while the lever is up), then the Ohms reading is .20.

The situation reverses if I have the lever down... meaning if I hold my probes on the green and green/red or white/black, I get .20 Ohms and .00 when the probes are on the green and white/red or green/black.

This seems to be the reverse of what you are showing it should be in the diagram that you sent.  Do you need me to send you a video showing this?

Edited by eastcoastz

27 minutes ago, eastcoastz said:

When the lever in up (right signal) and put my multi-meter on the continuity setting, I am showing continuity between green-->white/black and green-->green/red.  If I switch my multi-meter from the continuity setting to the Ohms setting, I get .00 on these connections, however if I put one probe on the green and one on the green/black or white/red (while the lever is up), then the Ohms reading is .20.

Ok this shows that you have closed circuits whether you are calling it continuity or ohms on the right side when the lever is in the right position and making a connection of the correct contacts.

29 minutes ago, eastcoastz said:

The situation reverses if I have the lever down... meaning if I hold my probes on the green and green/red or white/black, I get .20 Ohms and .00 when the probes are on the green and white/red or green/black.

The lever left is controlling green and white/red  and green/ black ( as stated at the end of the sentence) not green/ red and white/ black like you have written in the middle of the above sentence. 

This supports  what I have written in the diagram.

Thank you for the pictures.

When you stated that the turn signal switch circuits seemed to be reversed, I immediately knew what I might have done wrong;

I thought I might have switched the turn signal wires when replacing the plug.

But they are where they should be as you can see  by comparing to the attached pictures.

20211009_083112.jpg

20211009_083149.jpg