IGNORED

N42 with Flat Top Pistons

Barefootdan

7 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

just a guy with a keyboard and an internet connection.

That guy can get pretty far these days! 😉 

Interesting topic! Last week i started on my 280zx enginebay (in a while i put that on my own thread 1979 280zx 2+2 slickroof.)  and it has a N42 head..  I'm gonna cleanup the engineroom as a last step in the restore and was thinking of using a E30 (This is a 2 liter head of a nissan L20!)  as i have one lying around (restored) on my attic. Also a original Datsun cam so called slalom-cam is an option to put in the E30. (I have a N42 block with dimpled pistons (I forgot the right word for it.. sorry.) 

Can i combine a E30 with a slalom-cam  (0.475 lift - 275 duration) on my block N42?

I have heard about making a thick copper gasket but i never done it before, to make less compression..

When i go to a bigger cam i also need to goto hitachi carbs (YEAH.. old school!!) or another (programmable) Injection system as the orig. sys. does not like the bigger cam..

Edited by dutchzcarguy

20 hours ago, Zed Head said:

That conversation has been going on for decades.  I think that regional fuel quality might play a part as well as altitude and temperature, plus timing and other tuning factors.

You won't really know until you try it, basically.  I'd just make sure you're conservative on your ignition timing, including the fine details like the rate of centrifugal advance and vacuum advance.  There are many variations in timing curves out there in the world of Z distributors.

Agreed……A higher duration camshaft is supposed to help with detonation. The Isky Stage III regrinds work for me…..zero detonation, but all my heads are shaved P79’s. Like Zed Head says…..back the timing off till you get your performance camshaft, then come back to us and we’ll walk you through that installation. But, by all means, install the flat tops.

• Like 1