IGNORED

Black liquid out exhaust.

dylancorrea1

So I noticed black smoke coming out of the car, my first thought is the car running to rich plus the exhaust is actually garbage and the catalytic converter is stock from factory (1978) so I assume the exhaust to be the reason for the black smoke as it is dirty, rusty, and black from the inside, but today I noticed droplets of black liquid, now from what I know this could be condensation+the unburnt fuel= black droplets (cold start), as I have driven the car and have not smelled burnt oil nor seen the oil levels drop. Am I wrong? I will inspect spark plugs to see if they show signs of unburnt fuel due to running rich. Can anyone help with ideas to what it could be?

(New exhaust will come in next week, order was canceled so now I have to wait)

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIMG_1054.jpgIMG_1053.jpg

Black is carbon, resulting from incomplete combustion of the air/fuel mixture. It collects in the exhaust, and when you start the car condensation mixes with the carbon and the wet, black mess blows out the tailpipe.

I would think that it's condensation bringing out some of the carbon soot with it, that will probably disappear with the new exhaust.

I figured it was something somewhere along those lines, I’m glad I got help to clear it up hoping the exhaust comes soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My garage door is covered with that stuff from cranking when the door is down. It shoots out a cartoonish "splat" after warm up and then revving it up during the winter months.

After looking it turns out the wall it’s usually parked in front of also has little splats. I figured it was nothing to major but Im always worried and had to ask, glad it’s something normal.

• Like 1

Black is carbon, resulting from incomplete combustion of the air/fuel mixture. It collects in the exhaust, and when you start the car condensation mixes with the carbon and the wet, black mess blows out the tailpipe.

I think it’s especially an issue since the car might be running a little rich, the new exhaust and temperature sensor for the injectors should help.

15 hours ago, dylancorrea1 said:

the catalytic converter is stock from factory (1978

All engines tend to run rich when cold, and the engines without O2 sensors tend to run richer because there's no feedback to the ECU to make things as lean as possible.  And that's why your car has a floor temperature warning light.  Converters get hot when they see too much unburned fuel.

It's always going to spit black water when the engine is cold.  Put a piece of carpet back there to collect the drips.  It's normal.