IGNORED

Size Specs/Dimensions for 240Z Original Choke Cable Rubber Bellows?

inline6

On 7/30/2021 at 2:12 PM, zKars said:

Took a break from stub axle assembly. My favorite after a fresh thick powder coating and it rubs EVERYWHERE!!!! Grrrrr..

Let me know if you need more details

Thanks for the measurements.  The boots I have a bit small.  They are not as wide at the fat part of the bellows and they are only 1.6 inches long from end to end.  I put one on the cable and the id on each end is a good fit.  I think it is 1 mm id on one end and it is 6 mm id on the other. 

IMG_20210729_221540.jpg  IMG_20210729_221601.jpg

Maybe the info here will help someone else, as my carbs don't utilize the later style cables with boots.

IMG_20200227_194439.jpg

IMG_20200227_194520.jpg

Edited by inline6
  • Like 1

I'm also of the opinion that your car did not originally have bellows, as they appear to have started for the 1972 model year in 9/71. I have never seen what are called complete assemblies (early type) offered for sale with them. Not saying there is anything wrong with adding them.

Here are some measurements that might help with adding them, for anyone who is interested. The travel required for full motion of the choke linkage is 1-1/8" and the compressed length of the bellows must be 3/4" or less. This is based on open and closed measurements I just took from my carbs, and I also checked at the choke lever on a drawing from a parametric 3D model I created a few years ago.

Choke linkage travel - early type.jpg

Choke lever travel - early type.JPG

Hope this info helps anyone trying to add bellows,

Cheers Mike

Edited by CanTechZ
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, inline6 said:

"Maybe the info here will help someone else, as my carbs don't utilize the later style cables with boots."

Hey, @inline6I missed reading this part of your post so I edited mine above a bit. BTW your carbs look great, are they from ZTherapy?

1 hour ago, CanTechZ said:

Hey, @inline6I missed reading this part of your post so I edited mine above a bit. BTW your carbs look great, are they from ZTherapy?

Paltech, actually.  Jeff was great.  My 4 screw carbs were in very good condition and I wanted them to be the ones I got back.  ZTherapy told me that I had to accept an exchanged set - they would not rebuild mine and send them back to me.  That works for most I guess, but my first 240Z SU carbs had a few issues that I would not have liked if I received a set with "repairs", and I didn't want to take the gamble.

I dis-assembled a bit too far evidently, as some of the parts are plated as an assembly (choke linkage I think), and I had some extra parts plated at the same time, so the charge was a bit more, but I am very happy with them.  It's going to be a lot of fun pulling all of my stash of new and refurbed parts out when it becomes time to put the car back together.

Edited by inline6
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, inline6 said:

Paltech, actually.  Jeff was great.  My 4 screw carbs were in very good condition and I wanted them to be the ones I got back.  ZTherapy told me that I had to accept an exchanged set - they would not rebuild mine and send them back to me.  That works for most I guess, but my first 240Z SU carbs had a few issues that I would not have liked if I received a set with "repairs", and I didn't want to take the gamble.

I dis-assembled a bit too far evidently, as some of the parts are plated as an assembly (choke linkage I think), and I had some extra parts plated at the same time, so the charge was a bit more, but I am very happy with them.  It's going to be a lot of fun pulling all of my stash of new and refurbed parts out when it becomes time to put the car back together.

Thanks for this, I like the idea of getting your own carbs back as well. His prices look very reasonable.

12 hours ago, CanTechZ said:

Paltech, actually.  Jeff was great. 

Jeff Palya at Paltech was the only person I could find to do flat top carbs. Very courteous and customer oriented.  Beautiful work---came back like jewelry!

Price was very good (but not cheap) considering the work done, as Mike said above. Only place that assured me that whatever carbs I sent would be the same carbs returned, as inline6 said.

I have had him do 4 screw rounds tops also. Same quality. Over polished if anything.

A word of caution---the work he does is very good----but go over your carbs carefully when you get them back to ensure that everything is adjusted properly according to the FSM. I had to reset the internal fuel nozzles on the flat tops to get them right. Didn't figure that out until ---once installed--- the carbs didn't run correctly at all. Had to remove them (PITA with flat tops) and adjust them, reinstalled and all was good.

A lot easier to do on round tops, but thought I would mention it for others to note and keep in mind.

• Like 1

I was on a similar search for the brake cable boot for my Datsun 520.  My solution was a a bicycle cable boot.

I recommend you expand your search to include bike and motorcycle components.

Let us know your success and failures.

Keith