IGNORED

Size Specs/Dimensions for 240Z Original Choke Cable Rubber Bellows?

inline6

A part that is almost always long gone on our 240z's, I am hoping to find a nearly identical to factory replacement "rubber bellows" for the choke cables for the car I am restoring.  Somewhere in my thousands of hours of web-surfing, I found this picture of some of the originals:

s-l1600.jpg

Does anyone have any originals that they could pull some measurements off of?  I am looking for dimensional details of both the boots and the collars/clamps that secure the boot to the cable and sheath.  I would like to fabricate the collars... but I need more info.

Here are some boots I am hoping are close enough:

IMG_20210726_194811.jpg

IMG_20210726_194911.jpg

IMG_20210726_195044.jpg

• Like 1

They look pretty close. Im not sure I would worry about getting closer than that

Edit: you might could scale the picture of the originals until the cable jacket is correct. Then take dimensions from the picture. We would do this all the time in Architecture

Edited by Patcon

17 minutes ago, zKars said:

The sum total of my choke cable boot collection. 

image.jpg

Nice - thanks for grabbing those and a pic.  So, are you able to provide any details about the collars?  Looking at the pic, it seems there were differences in how tall the collars/bands were.  How thick is the metal they are made from?  Is there just one dimple on the circumference, or more than one?  Are they 6 sided?  They don't look round... which I find odd.  For the bellows, can you measure the rough overall length?  How wide are they at the fat part of the bellow, and at the thin part?  I have cables and can measure the outer diameter (OD) of the cable housing.  I just haven't done so yet.

Edited by inline6

I’ll give details in the morning. 

The collars are all hexagonal, some variety in them for sure. Bet they were round then crimped with a hex shaped crimper, kinda like a TV coax crimper.

Does your car have the new style choke cable assembly (1972) or the early 70/71 style? Looking at the BaT sale for your car, it looks like the early type. The early type did not have the rubber bellows. I know this because I accidentally bought a 1972 style choke cable assembly and had to remove the bellows to use it in my 1970. Even then it was a problem because the new style cables are shorter. If your car has three screw carbs they might work as I believe the linkage was different than the four screw carbs on mine.

I ended up selling it and repairing my broken early cable. Here is a discussion from when I sold it on here,

Here are a couple more pics I took before I sold it.

20170502_092332.jpg

20170501_164149.jpg

For reference, here is an image from the parts book. You can see the bellows on the "new type" and none on the early one.

image.png

Edited by CanTechZ

9 hours ago, CanTechZ said:

Does your car have the new style choke cable assembly (1972) or the early 70/71 style? Looking at the BaT sale for your car, it looks like the early type. The early type did not have the rubber bellows. I know this because I accidentally bought a 1972 style choke cable assembly and had to remove the bellows to use it in my 1970. Even then it was a problem because the new style cables are shorter. If your car has three screw carbs they might work as I believe the linkage was different than the four screw carbs on mine.

For reference, here is an image from the parts book. You can see the bellows on the "new type" and none on the early one.

image.png

Interesting.  I may not need these after all.  I am looking at the fitment information.  How can I tell when the later type was utilized?  Assembly is #20 in the image:

image.png

Edited by inline6