IGNORED

Series 1 water and oil gauge?

70z4fun

Howdy,

Drove the z yesterday, and no water temp readings on the gauge.

So I checked the connection on the thermostat and all looked good. When I got home, I took a jumper wire to the wire to the sender to the shock tower, turned the key, and nothing.

So I am thinking my gauge is bad. Did a quick look on eBay, not much there for 140lb gauge. My question is, can these be repaired? Is there someone fixing all 240z gauges or am I just going to be looking for another gauge?  Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice
Is there any other place to check for wiring issues besides the contact at the thermostat?
Seems odd that it just stopped working after all these years/

I would hate to change it out and have the same issue.

Maybe I should strip the wire at the connector and check before I start to remove the gauge. Not sure if there is another connector besides the one at the gauge

Thanks

10 hours ago, 70z4fun said:

Maybe I should strip the wire at the connector and check before I start to remove the gauge. Not sure if there is another connector besides the one at the gauge

That wire is in the engine harness which will plug into the dash harness just to the right of the glove compartment (or jockey box). So, you have three connectors: female bullet at the sensor, (looks like) 6-pin connector under the right side of the dash (Yellow wire), and connector at the gauge.

• Like 1

Double checked the wiring, and everything looks good. Looks like the gauge needs to come out. I assume the best way to get it out is to remove the center heater control and center vent?
I will check around for a spare and send this one off to get repaired. 

Any advice on removal is appreciated.

Thanks

1 hour ago, 70z4fun said:

Double checked the wiring, and everything looks good. Looks like the gauge needs to come out. I assume the best way to get it out is to remove the center heater control and center vent?
I will check around for a spare and send this one off to get repaired. 

Any advice on removal is appreciated.

Thanks

Having removed and replaced that center heater control/vent many times I would suggest you remove the glove box cardboard and access it from there, the 4 stiff wire cables going to the various vent levers can be a real buggar.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 70z4fun said:

so, you can get that gauge out after removing glove box? I have done that for the clock, but not the other gauges.

That would be way easier 😉

The other 2 gauges are held on the same way the clock is, just a couple of wing nuts if I remember correctly.