IGNORED

Putting in a replacement L-28

Av8ferg

Good luck with it! Don't scratch that nice paint job.

Those HF levelers are nice but scary when you're working by yourself. They pop and are jerky when using them while loaded down with the motor. That little handle is useless, put a socket on the other end. Grease the bottom rail the roller rides on, makes it a little smoother.

I found an old post of mine showing what I did. Might help you too.

Here's some reading for ya. Below the videos it's stuff from classiczcars.com.

https://www.google.com/search?q=engine+leveler+classiczcars.com&client=ms-android-americamovil-us-revc&ei=_6wJYZWmJtScwbkPxba40AY&oq=engine+leveler+classiczcars.com&gs_lcp=ChNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwEAMyBQgAEM0COgQIHhAKUJuaAVjkrAFgxrkBaABwAHgAgAHIAYgB5g2SAQYwLjExLjGYAQCgAQHAAQE&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp

Skateboarding comment. I always put my right foot down on the toe box of my tennis shoes and used that as a brake. Pissed my Mom off but what didn't eh?

I had to google "eh" to figure out what @Racer X meant. LOL

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Cliff, thanks for that.  I think it gave me more to think about.  I’m a bit concerned that my garage might not be tall enough using the load leveler with its standard set up.  My garage is 9’9” tall and I don’t know what I’ll need but I don’t want to be in the middle of the pull out to figure it out,  One response on the thread you sent the guy was worried about his 10’ garage not being enough, 
So, you mentioned that using ratchet straps should mitigate the height concern.  Did you strap one to each end of the leveler or did you just attach them to the main hook on the hoist?  Does anyone have any pics of that set up.  I have two helpers on call to help me get though this, both with the same level of auto skills as me…aka amateurs.  

Side bar Cliff……my  kid is burning though his vans (3 this year) because he thinks they’re perfect brakes.  Things haven’t changed.  We didn't have a lot of money when I was a young kid, my mom just said well it looks like you’re going to school with holes in your shoes.  All my shoes were hand-me-downs from my brother until I was probably in 7th grade. 

• Like 3

I didn't use straps but I did read that. here's my setup before install. I used an old valve cover so not to scratch up my nice pretty one.

1460756510154.jpg

Here's one of my favorite " calm down it'll be fine" pictutres from @Jeff G 78. He really helped me from jumping off the roof. He's like a big 'ol walking talking Valium. He's the one that told me to jack the rear up and I made the decision to let the air out of the front tires as much as I could while still getting the hoist under there. My ceiling is low too but it's exsposed rafters so I lined the hoist up in between the rafters. That bought me another 10 or 12 inches. When it was all over with I'd say I overthought the whole deal, it's easy and I did it all by myself. You got this Ferg. :victorious:

IMG_4985.JPG

• Like 3

Thanks Cliff, I like to think things through before jumping in head first.  I’ve leaned that lesson the hard way in life.   Do you think I need to remove the intake and exhaust manifolds first. Would prefer not to and just remove the exhaust pipe from the manifold.  

I have an old valve cover…good idea!  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Av8ferg said:

Thanks Cliff, I like to think things through before jumping in head first.  I’ve leaned that lesson the hard way in life.   Do you think I need to remove the intake and exhaust manifolds first. Would prefer not to and just remove the exhaust pipe from the manifold.  

I have an old valve cover…good idea!  

That's what I did. I only removed the hood then I unhooked everything up top, took the exhaust pipe off and the driveshaft then put a rubber cap over the transmission. I think I pulled the alternator and starter too. Don't forget the WD-40 cap over the clip for the hood hold up rod.

Here's a good thread from '05. Post #15 shows the rubber plug I'm talking about. You'll read about rolling the car out of your garage to get some stuff off then roll it back in for the removal, good advice.

Edited by siteunseen

17 hours ago, siteunseen said:

I had to google "eh" to figure out what @Racer X meant. LOL

I’ve lived an hour and a half drive from Canada since 1970. Going to Canada is like driving across town. Been there so many times I lost count. 

When I turned 18 the drinking age up there was 18 so we would drive up Friday after work and spend the weekend bar hopping and sleeping in my friend’s van.

Always came home speaking “Canadian”. That’s what its all aboot, eh? Spent lots of dolers on beer.

When I was in Roanoke, Virginia a guy there accused me of being Canadian, said I had an accent.

So, yeah, I speak Canadian, eh?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Jeff,
Thanks for the advice. I have a folding lift. I can easily get the bumper off since it’s a new 240 style and not the railroad tie.
Good advice all around. Got the radiator out today(what a mess) had to kick my dogs out of the garage before they tried to drink it. Wiring all labeled and disconnected. Working on the AC lines and compressor. Didn’t think the system was charged having sat so long. Got a nice blast of refrigerant on one line. Throttle links off, starter and heater hoses done. Going to drain the oil and trans fluid next. Headed to Lowe’s to get some rubber plumbing caps. Friend headed over to help with hood this afternoon. (Thanks Cliff for reminding me to mark the hinges).
Cliff what’s are you talking about when you mention the WD-40 cap on the hood rod?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Av8ferg said:

Cliff what’s are you talking about when you mention the WD-40 cap on the hood rod?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the radiator support, you will see a spring clip that holds the hood prop.  Remove the prop rod and then tape the little red cap off of a WD40 can over the clip.  The oil pan will easily snap the clip off if you don't protect it with the WD40 cap.

Datsun for Nissan Fairlady Z 240z 260z 280z Hood prop rod clip clamp holder  | eBay

Edited by Jeff G 78
  • Like 4