IGNORED

Steering Wheel Refreshing

Wally

Wally, I did this resto myself and it wasn’t hard just time consuming. I did like the others mentioned (and filled the forum advice). I stripped the spikes to the metal, primed and the put several coats of satin. On the resin/wood portion just sand smooth, wipe off any dust and residue and then go with clear Poly. Clear poly isn’t a actually clear is has a light tint by it very nature. Puts a nice color on the wheel. I put about 4-5 coats of poly (spray). Darkens a bit with more coats. You don’t need any stain (this is a point of disagreement on the forum). I’d make it to your liking. Here’s techniques I used. Poly takes a long time to dry. I waited 12 hrs between coats, lightly sanded with like 600 grit sand paper between coats, wipe down between coats. Poly is fickle, it can sometimes lay uneven (it runs so lay it on thin) , it can get bubbles easily and dust can land on it during the long drying phase. The sanding in between should mitigate most of that. Be sure the area you are spaying is dust and wind free or else it will be a problem. Strip and paint the spokes first, then do the wheel. Good luck and post pics. He was mine, got from a junk yard. It was bad and the yard still charged me $40 or $50.

Before:

b1e2cff06b6e4db1b7a5d855cd7623f9.jpg

Middle:

203f243b4dde27d7ded1e1cc1ac6e9c3.jpg

5bf88619c95167216082d32a5ab4229a.jpg

After:

c7744cf8564eba42989f96341c433d44.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3