IGNORED

260Z banging noise under armrest area

8 hours ago, Shawninvancouver said:

my pal insists it’s the u joints that hold the tie rod to the rear diff.  Is that even possible ??

U joints connect rotating shafts, such as a driveshaft, halfshaft, steering shaft.

Tie rods connect the steering rack to the steering knuckle.

So, no, not even in the same ballpark.

7 hours ago, Shawninvancouver said:

Or as in the drive shaft was spinning and the car wasn’t moving.  Reverse was fine abs the car shifted fine once going. 

Now think about this for a moment.

If the driveshaft was spinning, and the car wasn't moving, then later, in reverse, it moved fine, you just stepped into The Twilight Zone.

You really won't know what is causing the noise until you get under the car and have a look.

26 minutes ago, Shawninvancouver said:

Here are photos from underneath.   Strap is ok. Diff mount is ok. Looked like shaft connector on back was ok.  Can you send anything weird in photos ???

CFFF40F3-CD03-473D-A90B-BB5A2F952470.jpeg

7D2B6332-F409-4A01-9638-C14503FE117A.jpeg

9C28F727-70DE-47D6-A085-968751B1C83B.jpeg

0A49EB02-638B-47A5-AAA8-8B17C2964773.jpeg

E962A24C-CCC9-4E89-9048-3704295DE447.jpeg

85AD3CAE-F79D-45A6-B540-AC69299766DE.jpeg

6AA979FD-7EEE-45E5-93AB-429ADF185DB4.jpeg

3EA041FA-3B04-4514-B6EC-82E55877125A.jpeg

E2460F58-C7CB-4E17-A039-2004DEE71997.jpeg

58E89E66-70A7-4DA9-BAE0-1A01C6DF9A1F.jpeg

Not a single picture of the nose mount on the diff showing the condition of the rubber.

I would take a look there, use a pry bar and see if there is any play. Those mounts tear somtimes, and that might be the clunking you are hearing.

Also check the u joints on the driveshaft and half shafts.

• Like 2

ok - i will look there for a nut..  what would the effect be with no nut there?? bouncing up and down??  isnt the diff just sitting on that rubber??

so even with no nut it just rests on it??

i looked at u joints as good as i could and they looked ok...

i guess strap and mount look ok.. 

Here is a video of how to check universal joints, and what you will see when one is bad (this one is really bad, any play is unacceptable). Your Z has 6 universal joints.

Check them all.

The front differential mount is two pieces of metal joined with rubber. One of the metal pieces is bolted to the differential, the other to the cross member. If both parts are bolted securely, then it is possible that the rubber has torn away from the metal. To check for this use a prybar too lift the nose of the differential, and observe if this is the case.

The transmission mount, and the engine mounts are of similar design, and are checked the same way.

Check them.

Also, check the exhaust. Grab the muffler outlet and see if it wiggles, observe how much, and if you hear any part of the exhaust hitting anything. A little wiggle is OK, a lot, not so much. Examine all of the mounts, repair or replace any broken parts. Bailing wire or coathangers are not acceptable repair materials. 

ok.. i will check those..  it sounds like it could be the rear U joint....  if it is..  will this one work as a replacement????

https://www.danaaftermarket.com/spicer-automotive/automotive-driveshaft/universal-joints/part/universal-joint/5-1501X?cat1=0&str=5-155X&cp=0&catalog=PIMS_NA&partType=PART

is this the part i need??

ok.. i will check those..  it sounds like it could be the rear U joint.... 

Did you find any play in it?

Is it listed as the replacement?

Are the dimensions correct?