IGNORED

74 260z distributor on wrong ??

3 hours ago, Racer X said:

Using a DVOM, check for continuity between the terminals, and from terminals to ground.  There should be continuity between the terminals. There should not be continuity from any terminal to ground. 

Seems like many of us aren't reading other people's posts.  Much repeating of advice, but, of course, the many threads on the same topic aren't helping at all.

Shawninvancouver is definitely jumping around, but he has done a few things that have identified things that definitely need fixing.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Shawninvancouver said:

Maybe the whole issue is bad ballast. 

Was.  But your distributor misalignment and spark plug wire mess wouldn't be related to a bad ballast resistor.

You should make a list of each problem and how to fix it.  You have several things that you need to do just get the engine started.  There will be more problems to solve to get it running right.  There's not going to be one thing that makes everything work right.

And don't start any new threads.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shawninvancouver said:

No new threads.  Today’s job get tdc. Hook up plugs right.  Put in dizzy correct Check ballast resistor. Follow wire diagram in fsm.  See if I get spark.  

Oh. Ya.  And if it was the ballast then I would never get a spark.   That’s possibly why last owner was messing with dizzy.  

• Like 1

i just watched this video about ballast and coil and he says i should only see power on the last terminal when the engine is cranking..  2:55 of video..

not when the key is in on position..   so was my ballast acting correct when i was testing for electricity with my test light???

Edited by Shawninvancouver

This may help in some way. It's from the ZX dizzy swap but shows the ballast resistor you eventually remove.

From Blues Tech Tips. https://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/distributor/index.html

12.jpg (44601 bytes)

Next step is to see which of the two back w blue striped wires to the center ballast connector "R" is NOT +12V.
Disconnect both and turn key over to "start" while checking voltage on each. The one without the voltage goes to a capacitor (aka condenser).
Mark the other one with +12V with red tape.

yes i have seen that but its a 4 post and mine is a 3 post...  not sure whats on the extra post.    all i really want to know is  -  should i see some sort of power on all 3 posts when i  turn the key to the power position - or only power to 3 on start car ignite position???

coilq.jpg

Edited by Shawninvancouver