IGNORED

Who's running the Panasport 16X7 +11 wheels from ZCar Garage?

conedodger

I spoke to Rob on the phone and he was pretty reassuring, but I'm wondering if anyone here has personally tried them. I have a fender roller from Eastwood but my car is pretty low and I'm not sure... I would probably just drive over and get them as I have a bit of free time these days and it would be great to see my old gang at Stanford... 

"ZcarGarage is a factory direct dealer for the Japanese Panasport 16X7+11 offset FS wheels that are our favorite go to wheel solution for the S30 model that allows fitment of 225-50-R16 tires.  The wheels have silver centers with machined lip and include the center caps.  Limited sets available.  Timeless styling for your Z car.

Price: $1,220.00 plus shipping.  Please contact ZCG directly."

ZCG-31015-003-e1434174958791-759x1024.jpg

Based on how much of the rear fender weld flange I had to cut away to fit 225/50R16 max performance summer tires, I'd say +11mm should make the tires fit with no rubbing.  That said, they won't look as good as zero offset.

IMG_4023.jpg

6 hours ago, SteveE said:

Jeff

Not questioning you at all, but please explain why zero offset will look better.

Thanks

Steve

Most people prefer the stance to be wide and the tires to be flush with the fenders.  Positive offset pulls the tires inboard which helps fender clearance for sure.  A +11mm offset means that the track width is nearly an inch narrower than the same wheels with a zero offset.  

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, conedodger said:

To continue on Jeff's thought, I've heard that the narrower track width in the front makes it easier to steer? What are your thoughts on that Jeff? 

The more scrub radius there is, the more effort it will take to steer the car.  You are correct in your statement that positive offset wheels will reduce the scrub and therefore, the steering efforts.  I've never really thought that the Z steers hard with its manual steering and zero offset 225 max performance summer tires.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 6/6/2021 at 11:28 PM, Jeff G 78 said:

Based on how much of the rear fender weld flange I had to cut away to fit 225/50R16 max performance summer tires, I'd say +11mm should make the tires fit with no rubbing.  That said, they won't look as good as zero offset.

IMG_4023.jpg

Do you think 16x8+0 with 225/50R16 would fit a 240 as long as it is at standard ride height and without trimming?

4 hours ago, 87mj said:

Do you think 16x8+0 with 225/50R16 would fit a 240 as long as it is at standard ride height and without trimming?

Probably not, but there are too many variables. Body variation and tire choice will make a huge difference. The same size tire in two different brands and/or models could be shaped very differently. Some are wider than nominal and others are narrower than nominal. Some have very square shoulders and others are more trapezoidal. 

Also, I say this every time it comes up. Ride height doesn't matter!  The suspension goes through the same motion no matter where it starts. A lowered car just starts at a different spot in the travel. A stock height car will likely be on softer springs while a lowered car will likely be on stiffer springs, but both will take the same path. The only way to really check clearance is to remove the springs and run the suspension through full motion using a floor jack under the control arm. Unless the tires clear through full travel with the springs removed, they will rub and could either cut a sidewall or damage the fender. 

• Like 1

Thanks Jeff.  I really wanted a set of Watanabes but the minimum width they have is 8".    Some seem to like the look of a wheel that is 1" + wider than the tire but its not for me and I dont want to alter fenders to get them to fit.  Panasport has a fisheye look.  I think I am the only person on the planet that doesnt like those but I don't think I will have much choice.  ( Sorry I didn't mean to hijack the thread 🙂 )  

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jeff and other members. I'm new to the forum and excited about fixing up a 73 240z and being involved with so many enthusiastic and knowledgeable members. Jeff, may I ask what the wheels/tires are on the z you posted above? They look great, as does the car! Are they Konig Graphite 16 X 7 with 0 offset? Is a 205 the widest tire you can run on a 16 X 7 with 0 offset and not have rubbing on stock shocks/suspension? Does a Panasport 16 x 7 +11 with 225/50s end up looking the same in the wheel well as a 205 with zero offset? does the Rota 16 X7 +10 offset allow the 225s without rubbing also? I like a little color on the spokes and not sure if the Panasport comes in different colors like the Konigs and Rotas. I do like the wheels/tires filling the wheel well as pictured but hoping to stay stock for now, avoid rubbing and rolling edge (though not opposed to it!)

IMG_4023.jpg