IGNORED

Header Installation Tips/Tricks

Vorticity

I finally ordered a MSA 3/2 coated header and 2.5 inch aluminized premium exhaust.  I've read up and watched some videos on installation and think I can handle this job, but I've never done it before.  Any tips/tricks are appreciated.  One question I have is does the stock heat shield fit back in place without any modifications?

Thanks everyone.  

I have the 6to1 headers and had to trim the heat shield around one of the primary tubes on my 280. I also had to grind a little off the bell housing where the collector barely rubbed on it.

The 240 did not need any of that.

You can use jack stands to hold up the 2.5 tube while you bolt it together. The S pipe right before the muffler is the hardest part to get tucked up the right way. Was for me. Good luck and check MSA for the correct orientation of the muffler. It's a hyper link in the description of the 2.5 exhaust.

Edited by siteunseen

1 hour ago, siteunseen said:

I recognize that car!  🙂  

I actually totally forgot about that thread.  Five years later and the second system is STILL in the box awaiting install in my '78.  At least now, the car is driveable.  I would have installed it by now, but I need to get a resonator and a flex pipe and weld a 3 bolt flange on to mate to my AZC 6 into 1 header.

• Like 1

Exhaust studs can snap, so be careful. Might want to spray some penetrating oil on them while you wait for parts, just to let them soak. When you assemble it back together use anti-seize.

I think there is an ordering to remove the exhaust hardware, you work from the middle cylinders out to the ends, this is to avoid binding (similar to install/removal of a head) I’m not sure how important this is. Maybe someone else can chime in…

When you installed the exhaust don't forget to dril a hole in the lowest part of the resonator(s) from around 4 mm, to let the water out, it saves them from rusting from the inside! (put a little bit of paint in the hole(s) 

I did this with a lot of exhausts and they don't rust from the inside out!  For MOT not a problem as long the hole is not more than 5-6 mm..

• Like 1