IGNORED

Tire fitment advice needed.

JggyZ

New to me 280z, 1977. Stock height of car.  No fender wall modifications. 

Current wheels: Panasport 15 x7

Current tire setup: 225/60/r15

Tire treads look like they don't have much life left.   Seems 225 shoes may be a bit big for this wheel.  Thoughts on getting another set of 225 vs tire set more appropriate  (size 205)?  Any tips or experiences with this particular wheel and tire combo is appreciated.   Thanks to all in advance. 

Edited by JggyZ

22 minutes ago, Patcon said:

Yes, I call that scrubbing. Struts, fender lips or an air dam if you have one. If they dont scrub then I would run as wide as I could

* seems to work fine as it came with the car. No obv3rub. I assume wider is better for straight but how about cornering?  Have specific tire brand recommendations? Seems the bfgoodrich radials are popular.  Happy to take recs.

13 hours ago, JggyZ said:

New to me 280z, 1977. Stock height of car.  No fender wall modifications. 

Current wheels: Panasport 15 x7

Current tire setup: 225/60/r15

Tire treads look like they don't have much life left.   Seems 225 shoes may be a bit big for this wheel.  Thoughts on getting another set of 225 vs tire set more appropriate  (size 205)?  Any tips or experiences with this particular wheel and tire combo is appreciated.   Thanks to all in advance. 

I run 225/50/14 Hoosier Street TD bias plus on 14x7” on the race car.

I have a set of 225/45/15 BF Goodrich G Force Rivals going on a set of 15x7” Panasports for my 72 street Z.

Just right.

• Like 1

Here's a nice tire size calculator to play with: https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Plug in your OE tire specs in #1 and try out different options in #2. Speedometer error kicks in when you change the outer diameter. Aspect ratio was not in play back when our cars were new. For my 240Z the OE 175X14's were generally thought to be about 78-80. @Patcon mentions the benefit of a bigger contact patch but that also can introduce an effect called "tracking" where the tire fights the steering wheel and wants to follow road irregularities, more noticeable with these relatively light cars. I've noticed that effect with the 205's now on my car. If your current tires are rubbing you probably want to consider something a bit more narrow. Unfortunately there are limited options in the 15" range. Good luck with your selection process.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jfa.series1 said:

Here's a nice tire size calculator to play with: https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Plug in your OE tire specs in #1 and try out different options in #2. Speedometer error kicks in when you change the outer diameter. Aspect ratio was not in play back when our cars were new. For my 240Z the OE 175X14's were generally thought to be about 78-80. @Patcon mentions the benefit of a bigger contact patch but that also can introduce an effect called "tracking" where the tire fights the steering wheel and wants to follow road irregularities, more noticeable with these relatively light cars. I've noticed that effect with the 205's now on my car. If your current tires are rubbing you probably want to consider something a bit more narrow. Unfortunately there are limited options in the 15" range. Good luck with your selection process.

5 hours ago, Racer X said:

I have a set of 225/45/15 BF Goodrich G Force Rivals going on a set of 15x7” Panasports for my 72 street Z.

Just right.

cool Thanks for the lookout.  Current setup has no rub (stock fenders + suspension; no air dam, no fender rolls), however there is about a 1 inch spacing with wheels turned from back end of front fenders.  Looking at the tires it is dated from 2001, holy cowzer!!!!!  These need to recycle asap.

Not much in the 15" range and NOT tracking or autocross.  More likely to cruise and run canyons!!!  So looks like 225-50-15; would accomplish 2 things:

1) better tire clearance from fender walls

2) still have that nice looking stance with 225

(would lose approx 5mph on the speedomoter based on the online tire calculator).

These look like a solid pr of shoes for cruising.

https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/kumho-ecsta-ast/p/33649

5 hours ago, Racer X said:

Just right.

@Racer X; could you have gone with 225-50-15 as well?  feels like the '50' vs '45' would fill out the wheel well a bit more on a stock suspension.  Thoughts?

Edited by JggyZ

1 hour ago, JggyZ said:

@Racer X; could you have gone with 225-50-15 as well?  feels like the '50' vs '45' would fill out the wheel well a bit more on a stock suspension.  Thoughts?

A 50 series tire will be slightly taller than a 45 series, but not by much. I went with the 45 series as I don’t want to have clearance issues on the street car (which is currently at stock height).

The race car is lowered a few inches, the front fender lips have been removed and the rears rolled. It has plenty of clearance.