IGNORED

Help with Front Bumper mount Area

240ZBUILTBYME

Just wondering if someone who has a untarnished original car can share the shape of the below area? I’m looking at building my rotisserie and feel I need to sort out the damage my car has before mounting the rotisserie to it. At some point it had a front end collision, most damage was on the RHS. Repairs to the area seem..... how do you put it....unprofessional, low rent, shithouse... 

in particular I need to know if the vertical panel that the front bumper mounts to should be perfectly straight up and down. As you will see mine kinks outwards where the bumper mount holes are. And I need a rough guide on the radius of the curve from the vertical panel to horizontal that leads to the lower grille mount. 

CA33EAEA-9AA5-4E0C-9C2A-E068DAA4E342.jpeg

F9F4BE13-0CC2-490F-853C-F1217C7DBBB5.jpeg

7CB892D9-AC01-4B6B-A48D-13710A88C753.jpegC623EC70-8E2F-44D2-A3C9-D0E864A16A2E.jpeg

also need a photo from this angle, I believe the sharp edge shouldn’t be there and the shape is incorrect. 

1A8B2676-A1ED-4B92-8388-D2ADB1CECBD0.jpeg

ryan 

Edited by 240ZBUILTBYME

Here are a few measurements from my '70. The area where the bumper mounting bracket mates, is vertical.

20210404_125906.jpg20210404_131714.jpg

Please note that the vertical steel section above the surface where the bracket mates, is parallel with an offset of about 2-3mm.

The radius you wanted varies, I measured about 55mm in line with the back bracket hole and reduces to a radius of about 40mm at the leading edge. Hope this helps

Mike

20210404_130616.jpg20210404_131059.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, CanTechZ said:

Here are a few measurements from my '70. The area where the bumper mounting bracket mates, is vertical.

Please note that the vertical steel section above the surface where the bracket mates, is parallel with an offset of about 2-3mm.

The radius you wanted varies, I measured about 55mm in line with the back bracket hole and reduces to a radius of about 40mm at the leading edge. Hope this helps

Mike

Mike you’re a bloody legend mate!  Could not have asked for better measurements/references! Thanks so much for going to all that effort! 

Ryan 

8 hours ago, 240dkw said:

Cannot give you any measurements, but there is a few photos of the area in my build thread that might help.

Thanks DKW. I quickly went through your thread and found these: 

8AFF5F6B-1A50-4782-AF5A-7E70F8D9DEC7.png21809DE2-A7F7-4357-A5E5-BD839868EDC0.png

yours appear from the photos to be dead straight up and down with no offset as Mike mentioned. 

On another note great work with the rust repairs! I plan to go through and read your thread properly when I get some time. 

I think I may reattach my bonnet hinge mechanism while I try to repair.

11 hours ago, 240ZBUILTBYME said:

.... yours appear from the photos to be dead straight up and down with no offset as Mike mentioned. 

Hey Ryan, after seeing the pictures from Dan, I had a closer look at my car and found It doesn't have the offset on the RH side. The offset on the LH side must have been due to some minor old damage? It was strange how straight and even the offset is, although it does appear to be opposite to the top edge of the stiffening doubler plate on the far side. So much for my "bloody legend" status, LOL.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, CanTechZ said:

Hey Ryan, after seeing the pictures from Dan, I had a closer look at my car and found It doesn't have the offset on the RH side. The offset on the LH side must have been due to some minor old damage? It was strange how straight and even the offset is, although it does appear to be opposite to the top edge of the stiffening doubler plate on the far side. So much for my "bloody legend" status, LOL.

Nope. Still a bloody legend Mike! Haha 

thanks for taking a further look though! How funny, it looked perfectly offset from your photos.

so I think we can safely say that panel should be dead flat & vertical. Thanks again

Ryan 

Re-shaping those bent sections back to the correct, radiused contour might be a challenge.  I'm concerned that the metal won't move much in response to hammer-and-dolly treatment.  @ConVerTT did some significant work on this area of his Z and would probably be well qualified to advise.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Namerow said:

Re-shaping those bent sections back to the correct, radiused contour might be a challenge.  I'm concerned that the metal won't move much in response to hammer-and-dolly treatment.  @ConVerTT did some significant work on this area of his Z and would probably be well qualified to advise.

Thanks @Namerow Yes this is also my concern, the metal looks stretched from whatever impact it suffered or from the attempted repair to the area.

my thoughts are attempting to use heat and shrinking the area along with stud welder and slide hammer work. My theory is if I shrink the curved area it will pull the kinked vertical section back into line somewhat. 

I also remember Kent replacing this area in his thread, I might trawl through his thread. I guess failing an attempted repair, replacement of the metal is always an option. 

Ryan 

When I look at it, the curve is too abrupt on Ryan's car. So if you make the area nicely curved it should distribute the metal out allowing the vertical sides. The way it's supposed to be, That's at least how it looks. I think some dolly work would move it but you could easily stretch the metal. Shrinking might help but you will have to keep your shrink areas very close to each other to prevent other problems.

I think the best idea is to find some schedule 40 pipe that is close to the right diameter. Use it as you dolly to reshape the area

• Like 1