IGNORED

does this look like 918 to you?

Wally

46 minutes ago, Wally said:

beautiful. i want to steal your hubcaps

Thanks, Wally.  My car actually came off the deal’s showroom with slotted mags.  When restoring

the car, I found this set of hubcaps with their date matching steel wheels, (matching my car’s

production date) on eBay.   Seems the seller’s dad, when purchasing his 240z about the same 

time I bought mine, had the dealer replace these with slotted mags and stored these originals

in his attic for the next 40+ years.  

On 3/31/2021 at 1:18 PM, Wally said:

beautiful. i want to steal your hubcaps

Wally,  yesterday I went to my Finishmaster paint supplier in Phoenix for some touch up paint.

Here is the correct paint code for Nissan 918 Orange by DuPont ChromaBase paint which 

was used on my car (see previous posts for pictures) for all who may be interested in the

correct factory finish color.

Dan

CBBC8095-9E22-421A-9C97-6A54D5EDED4C.jpeg

• Like 1

I only see Wednesday 3/31, then today, Friday, 4/2.  4/1 was yesterday, Thursday but there's no posts.

Looks like the "100" was a typo or maybe a modification.  One question I'd have is who decides that these numbers are "918"?  Could be a computer analysis on a faded 918 chip that somebody put in the "system".  Who decides that it's "official"?  Dupont is not involved they just supply the materials.

1 hour ago, siteunseen said:

Wow, those formulas are way different. Is one a gallon formula and the other a quart? Or is it for 2 separate base paints? Same amount of red/orange for both though.

I'm talking about the one from 4/1/21 by the way.

The first formula I posted that had the Red Orange amount misprinted Was actually 490.?. This number

in the updated formula I just got on 4/1/2021 is very close at 491.0 as seen in my last post.  For a valid

comparison, the mix size for both formulas is 96 oz (3-quarts).  I am no expert in deciphering paint

formulas but where is the big difference, site?  The amount of touch up paint they mixed for me was

just 4 ounces, so maybe that is the confusion in the columns of numbers.

Yes, the 4oz size is the difference for lower numbers in the last column. 

I still can't understand the 491 being the same for a gallon then also 4oz but I mixed PPG house paint back in the early '90s. Now it's all automated. 

I'm sure you'll do a test spot first before touch up work. Maybe the gallon label has some original paint somewhere on it. 

34 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

I only see Wednesday 3/31, then today, Friday, 4/2.  4/1 was yesterday, Thursday but there's no posts.

Looks like the "100" was a typo or maybe a modification.  One question I'd have is who decides that these numbers are "918"?  Could be a computer analysis on a faded 918 chip that somebody put in the "system".  Who decides that it's "official"?  Dupont is not involved they just supply the materials.

The new label he posted has that date. 4/1/2021

Screenshot_20210402-133742_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by siteunseen
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Zed Head, I am certainly not certifying that this formula is the official 918 orange.

All I can say is that Pierre-Z, who did the majority of the Nissan Vintage Z restorations,

painted my car with this formula.  The inference is that most likely Nissan had some

Input when it comes to the paint formulas used by Pierre-Z in the Vintage program.

and, as I am the original owner of my car, I am happy that this 918 does a very good 

job of duplicating the factory color.

I am certainly not an authority here, just trying to be helpful to those interested.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AZ-240z said:

Wally,  yesterday I went to my Finishmaster paint supplier in Phoenix for some touch up paint.

Here is the correct paint code for Nissan 918 Orange by DuPont ChromaBase paint which 

was used on my car (see previous posts for pictures) for all who may be interested in the

correct factory finish color.

Dan

CBBC8095-9E22-421A-9C97-6A54D5EDED4C.jpeg

thanks. thats awesome. just bought my paint 2 days ago, but i think (fingers crossed) it will be a nice shade of orange.