IGNORED

Too many options...need your opinions!

astrohog

17 minutes ago, astrohog said:

Has the market really gotten that "picky" now? 

I posted the link to Bring-a-Trailer so you could see what was happening.  The well-done resto-mods and the very original cars seem to get the money.  In between, not so much.  And yes, it seems like a recent thing.  Hence, the spotlight.

https://bringatrailer.com/datsun/240z/

I appreciate your comments and input.  I did go look at BAT and I have to admit I am a bit surprised.  I guess it is hard to "re-train" my brain to the changing times.  I've had this car for so long, and their value has remained fairly constant (until very recently, apparently!).  I may have to re-think my plan.

Some people can be picky about their cars... But the car is already resprayed... if I was going to be picky thats where I would start. You make a fair point about filling the 6 holes you'll drill for a spoiler... and can probably figure out something for the shifter if you dont want to cut the trans tunnel. The wiring for the L28ET would have to be on a standalone, and not butcher into the OEM harness, I dont think that would be too difficult to do, you might need to make ONE hole for the wiring to get outside.

I remember a 72-73 modifed Z for like mid $30's on Bring A Wallet.... Blue colored?

Which BRE spoiler you thinking about, I have a NIB https://www.bre2.net/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=B&Product_Code=020b06&Category_Code=bre_datsun_body_parts that I never used.

@grannyknot That car looks fit.

• Thanks 1

Speaking as the owner of a '71 Z since 1971, I've gone through the same decision making process you're experiencing.  When I bought my Z in '71 it was persimmon.  After owning it for about eight years, I had it color changed to silver.  A few years later, back to persimmon.  During that time, it wore a black/charcoal front BRE spoiler which started out gloss black gelcoat and was later painted charcoal using C-130 aircraft radome paint. I also added black bolt on fender flares which will probably be coming off soon.  Changed to a 5-speed and trimmed the center console to accommodate the shift lever throw.  Upgraded to 15" black spoked Konig wheels.

Now, after 50 years of ownership, I'm getting it ready for new persimmon paint.  I've replaced all of the bumper rubber trim and will repaint the sun faded tail light surround to as close to stock as I can get it.  I also plan to add factory headlight covers, JDM front grille, and rear hatch louvers which have been in boxes for about 10 years.

Lesson learned over those last 50 years....do what makes you happy.  Whatever you do can all be undone and redone.  It's your car, make it the way you want it.  If you're doing it as an investment, keep it close to stock or at least easily reversible to stock.  Have fun with the process.

Dennis

• Like 3

22 hours ago, astrohog said:

Casey,  any chance you could post the actual paint and paint code your guy used?  The color on yours is fantastic!

The paint was done 9 years ago.

Hard to get info now

They changed the whole paint system to water based

Casey