IGNORED

Woodruff key disappeared into the abyss

Awk34

While pressing on a new crank damper, I heard a 'ping' and new it was that damn woodruff key. I pulled the damper back off and sure enough it was gone. I've searched all through there, pulled the seal off, tried digging around with picks and a magnet (although a large magnet on a straight stick, not the best tool for that) to no avail. I'm dreading the thought of having to disassembly the engine again just to get that damn key back. Do you guys know of another way? If it fell into the oil pan, should I just leave it there? Is it possible it fell into one of the oil pump holes? Please Help!

5 hours ago, Awk34 said:

It's a relief to hear you say that. Do you have any tips on making sure the next one doesn't fall out when installing the damper? Is it a bad idea to glue it in place?

A dab of wheel bearing grease should keep it in place until you slide the damper on.

• Like 2

Is your oil slinger intact? If you pushed the woodruff key thru into the pan, it would probably destroy the circular metal oil slinger unless you were very lucky and the notch on the oil slinger was perfectly aligned to the key.

7 hours ago, Awk34 said:

It's a relief to hear you say that. Do you have any tips on making sure the next one doesn't fall out when installing the damper? Is it a bad idea to glue it in place?

Make sure there are no burrs on the damper that might be grabbing the woodruff key as it slides on, lightly go over the edges with a fine file.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Diseazd said:

Is your oil slinger intact? If you pushed the woodruff key thru into the pan, it would probably destroy the circular metal oil slinger unless you were very lucky and the notch on the oil slinger was perfectly aligned to the key.

I wonder if the oil slinger is the "metal plate" that somebody was seeing in a recent thread about the woodruff key.  He was just trying to replace the seal and ended up with quite a mess.  His key was jammed in the keyway at an angle.

I've read that some engines didn't come with the slinger and many people just leave it out after working on the engine.

Here's the thread - 

Edited by Zed Head

Interesting....I figured if the factory installed it, so would I. All of the engines I’ve taken apart have had them. Wonder why it’s called an oil slinger?  

Here’s one those little suckers! Probably keeps oil off the seal would be my guess.

2A6A5C0F-03B2-4076-B325-C34734A9B03B.jpeg

D52E6040-C548-48ED-BBB1-2A65DF9C054D.jpeg

Edited by Diseazd