IGNORED

Chasing engine issue in my 73

Geoff's 240z

Hi team!

I have an on/off (random, every couple weeks recently) hesitation under load through all gears. Fine to idol and get off the line, but as I add more gas, it stumbles and feels like it is choking. I heard detonation under this while driving last night. I thought I'd limp home but it mysteriously fixed itself and full performance came back.

New fuel filter in the engine bay, checked plugs and they are fine. 280 block, head was redone about a year and a half ago, same time added new Ztherapy carbs. 280zx dizzy and standard coil. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance, pic below for inspiration.

IMG_1241.jpg

Edited by Geoff's 240z

Check all fuel lines from the tank to the nozzles in the SU to make sure there are no kinks that could restrict fuel flow. Check float levels. Make sure the vent line from the engine bay back to the tank is in good shape and will allow air into the tank as a vacuum will reduce fuel flow. 

Make sure the carburetors are balanced at idle and at 2000 to 3000 RPM.

What block/head? What is the compression on the engine? The detonation could be a separate issue. It could even be crappy, low octane CA gas.

30 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

Check all fuel lines from the tank to the nozzles in the SU to make sure there are no kinks that could restrict fuel flow. Check float levels. Make sure the vent line from the engine bay back to the tank is in good shape and will allow air into the tank as a vacuum will reduce fuel flow. 

Make sure the carburetors are balanced at idle and at 2000 to 3000 RPM.

What block/head? What is the compression on the engine? The detonation could be a separate issue. It could even be crappy, low octane CA gas.

Thanks @SteveJ

Carbs balanced and set to correct mixture. Shaved E88 to get to 10:1 compression on an N42 block (pinging is a new issue). 

Plugs look good. 

12 hours ago, Geoff's 240z said:

Fine to idol and get off the line, but as I add more gas, it stumbles and feels like it is choking. I heard detonation under this while driving last night. I thought I'd limp home but it mysteriously fixed itself and full performance came back.

IMG_1241.jpg

Silver 240Z's are popping up everywhere.  Weird.  Looks good.

One thing that might fit some of your symptoms is a sticking vacuum advance breaker plate, if you have vacuum advance connected.  You'd have high advance at idle and low throttle, then it should retard as you open throttle.  The detonation might be from high advance because the plate is sticking.  Pull the cap and see if the breaker plate moves freely.

Mark Maras's suggestion will tell you if it's a fuel/air ratio problem.  You should try what he suggested.  Pull the choke.

3 hours ago, Geoff's 240z said:

Carbs balanced. But take a look at this...does it look like my fuel level is low in my filter while at idle? Sucks all the way down to the bottom of the paper filter when rpms are increased.

IMG_2600.jpg

That's what mine looked like too. Turned out the floats were keeping the fuel level low and starving the carbs. It was very clear once I drove up a steep mountain. The front carb went dry and I was running on the back 3 cylinders. LOL