IGNORED

Highest compression ratio with stock fuel injections

280zdude

On 1/25/2021 at 1:40 PM, Zed Head said:

It depends on the fuel being used and the camshaft and how you plan to drive it.  Best to stay away from highest.

Im thinking about stage 3 cam with a thinner head gasket.. and maybe flat pistons. But I want to know if the stock efi would be able to handle that 

I don't believe the ECU will handle a stage 3 cam. I am not sure it will even handle a stage 2 cam. The EFI is very basic and doesn't handle any but the most mild changes. Increased compression normally needs increased fuel and the stock system would be able to provide it.

17 hours ago, 280zdude said:

Im thinking about stage 3 cam with a thinner head gasket.. and maybe flat pistons. But I want to know if the stock efi would be able to handle that 

"Handles" means different things to different people.  You could make probably make it run, for sure, but it would be probably have problems in certain areas, like idle or cruise if you tuned it for top end, or vice versa.

What do think about a potentiometer to add more fuel for a cam? I asked about this earlier but can't remember who or what the answers were. I have a pot knob on my'77 and can flood it out with fuel or starve it. I think it's a 7,500ohm volume knob from radio shack? I do know Schneider ask if it's efi or carbs when ordering so I know it's an issue. That maybe another advantage of hole #3 on the cam spocket from the beginning. Racer Brown's L motor chapter 13, FYI.

Edited by siteunseen

The L28 likes compression. Wakes it right up. The ecu does not like funky signal. My old website PlanetZ from the 90’s gave instructions on how to put NA electronics into a Turbo AFM. Can it be done? Sure. It runs like $^!#. Use FASTEFI or one of the other aftermarket EFI systems. 

You're in California.  You might not pass the emissions test.  That's another "doesn't work with stock EFI" problem.  Emissions, smelly exhaust, running lean at high RPM, those are the things that have to be balanced, that people have problems with.

On 1/29/2021 at 10:23 AM, Zed Head said:

You're in California.  You might not pass the emissions test.  That's another "doesn't work with stock EFI" problem.  Emissions, smelly exhaust, running lean at high RPM, those are the things that have to be balanced, that people have problems with.

At this point I don’t think I was going to anyways lol the whole egr  side of the intake is corroded 

image.jpg