IGNORED

.01 Ring with Standard Piston

Trnelson

I guess I was thinking that a compression test now would highlight catastrophic issues, but based on the conclusions drawn from the fact that it's running good, I think we can forgo that. So no biggie. I was just thinking it could be a benchmark of "now" and then you could compare that to "before I started this, and also against "after break-in".

In any event, I'm glad it's running well and the whole oversized ring thing seems to have worked out!

• 5 months later...

I apologize for digging up bones, particularly my own…. Just wanted to report that 2400 miles in she is running great!  Starts easy, idles great, pulls to redline (to be honest I’ve only redlined a couple times). Compression is 160 to 165 across all 6, did a leak down test on #1 today and according to the gauge I’m well within acceptable leakage, I’m planning to test the rest this weekend but I feel confident that they will be close to #1
Looking forward to getting my Z Therapy carbs, hopefully next month, to seal off the last of the vacuum leaks around the throttle shafts. 
id like to thank you all for your input 

• Like 2

I did that along with lapping the valves, a light port and polish, new valve seals, new valve springs etc.  With everything that I did I can say yes that my oil consumption problem is gone, however it would be impossible to know what solved it.  I honestly think I was leaking/ burning oil from a couple different places.  The engine still ran pretty well but you could tell it was tired.  Now it feels tighter, stronger and cleaner. (my wife will actually ride with me without a mask on so I got that going for me)  I'm calling it a success for what I wanted to accomplish at the time.  The next time I attempt a rebuild I will buy oversized pistons, rings etc and have the block bored out, crank inspected and ground if necessary.  I just wanted to do everything I could on my own on this go around and keep the budget modest.

• Like 3