IGNORED

Recent from Sports Car Digest

gundee

Nice article!  I had a 1970 240, white with blue interior, which was fairly unusual color combo. My 1983 280ZX Turbo is my 4th Z-car. (The others were a '76 280 and an '82 280ZX NA.)

And I have Coco mats in mine identical to the ones shown in that article. They go nicely with the tan/brown exterior.

280 6-05.jpg

Edited by Pilgrim

Fun to read but no references and no author.  The disclaimer doesn't even really apply.  Who knows where the "facts" came from.  Can't really do a background check on Mr. Digest.

Datsun 240Z: High Performance from an Affordable Sports Car

by  

https://sportscardigest.com/about-sports-car-digest/

Views and opinions expressed are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the position of Sports Car Digest. 

41 minutes ago, gundee said:

Mike. I knew it. I knew it. I just knew it.

They just cannot let it rest.

I suggest unhappy people contact the author at SCC and vent to him.

I think I will go back to my Packer Bears game now.

I am out.

One of these days I am out for good.

Settle down big guy..., no need to fret.... we are a colourful lot and we must get along.  I blew up a few times in the past and now resent it.  Just go with the flow of this site.  It is really quite a nice place on the internet.

So, note to members, prospective members, casual browsers and those doing research for further writing on the subject:

Contrary to expectations, Classiczcars.com is not the place where the truth about Nissan's S30-series Z is going to be discussed, let alone curated and passed on into new hands. 

And now back to our usual programming...

1 hour ago, gundee said:

Mike. I knew it. I knew it. I just knew it.

They just cannot let it rest.

I suggest unhappy people contact the author at SCC and vent to him.

I think I will go back to my Packer Bears game now.

I am out.

One of these days I am out for good.

I always look for sources when I read historical articles, especially in today's age of Wikipedia expertise.  Any professional writer knows that sources are the most important part of writing.  They didn't have any at all, not a single one.  And no "author" to contact about any inaccuracies.  

You can see that they, whoever "they" are, just surfed the interwebs and picked up scraps here and there.   Zhome, Mecum, Nissan, etc.  Some of the info seems to be from auction listings or auction house sales literature.  

The article is a classic fluff piece, meant to jazz up interest and sell magazines or get views.  Sorry, I wish it was something worth referring to to learn from, but you might as well just make a list from their picture attributions and go to those sites.  You'll be one step closer to the real source.

And, besides that, they are essentially stealing from the sites they surfed on to get their tidbits.  Without attribution it's plagiarism.  That's what caught my attention.  They surfed the web, scavenged material, and put it all together as an authoritative article, but it's really just a day's worth of web surfing, condensed.

Edited by Zed Head

I wonder if @Carl Beck was involved, or even knows they used his pictures.  Probably pulled words from his site also.  Let's find out.

And, just for the record, what's happening here is not really a big deal.  It's called "vetting".  Just trying to figure out what should be believed.  They should have at least tied some real names to the article.  There are 11 names before the "additional" guys.

Additional Contributors: (click name for stories)

Tony Adamowicz, Marshall Autry, Peter Brown, Len Clarke, Hal Crocker, David Ferguson, Vince Johnson, Csaba Kiss, Nathan Leach-Proffer, Rich Martin, Ed McDonough, Darren Pierson, Lee Robie, Bob Ross, Steve Rossini, Al Wolford, Simon Wright, Wallace Wyss, Marco Zanello

image.png

It's just an internet magazine, building a brand.  Probably saw the high prices and volume of Z's  on BAT, plus the "Green Monster" huge price, and felt the need to make an article.  We all shouldn't forget that cars have always been about making money.  It's business.

Jamie Doyle, Publisher – A lifelong car enthusiast and collector, Jamie left the world of finance to start Sports Car Digest in 2008. Seeing the need for an online classic car publication, he founded the focused and informative journal to fill the void on the Internet. Since starting the online magazine,

He is a member of the International Motor Press Association,

https://www.impa.org/joining-impa/

JOINING IMPA

IMPA membership is open to qualified (see below) automotive journalists and photographers, as well as public relations people who work for firms that:

• Manufacture, sell, service, rent or lease cars, trucks, motorcycles, motor scooters, automotive parts, accessories, lubricants, tools and/or equipment.
  • Dispense automotive information and training.
  • Operates a race, rally, or other vehicle performance organization or facility.