IGNORED

Head gasket leak. Any video tuts?

Jabronie

First thing to do is visit Nicoclub.com and download the factory service manual for the vehicle. You're not going to find a video that tells you all you need to know. 

If you want help, you should list the vehicle year, any changes to the motor, and you might want to provide info on the facilities you have to do to work in. 

On my 280ZX, it was much easier to leave the manifolds on the head when removing and re-installing it. Getting the cam and timing chain right is critically important.

Important: Look for threads about making and inserting a wedge that holds the timing chain tensioner in place. If you mess that up, you will have to pull the timing chain cover. Getting the timing cover sealed when you re-install it is a bitch if you have the head installed first.  

Label EVERYTHING. Every bolt and nut goes into a bag and is labeled, Every vacuum line must be labeled, along with the port it goes to.  And if it's fuel injected, the fuel feed and return lines should be labeled along with the connections on the fuel rail.  Sandwich bags and a Sharpie are your friends, and so is wide blue painter's tape.

Edited by Pilgrim

There was a recent discussion about this, including photos of the timing chain showing where the tensioner is. When I did the head on my 280ZX, I had no idea where it was and didn't get it secured correctly. It cost hours of extra work, and I never got the timing gear cover to seal when I tried to install it with the head in place.  I ended up paying a Z-car mechanic to do it again and get it right.

There was a recent discussion about this, including photos of the timing chain showing where the tensioner is. When I did the head on my 280ZX, I had no idea where it was and didn't get it secured correctly. It cost hours of extra work, and I never got the timing gear cover to seal when I tried to install it with the head in place.  I ended up paying a Z-car mechanic to do it again and get it right.
How much was the bill ?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I found this one online.

But I would still refer to a manual https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual?fsm=280z/1977/77_datsun_280z.pdf

Watch the video, read the manual, its a fairly simple motor to work on. Ask lots of questions.

To me the cost is one thing to consider, but I dont like people working on my cars, i find that people cut corners where I dont, i really dont like going back and fixing peoples mistakes. If you can find a shop in SC that has done this type of repair before then that would be great.

IIRC the KA24DE motor off a 240sx has a similar fitment of the headgasket around the headgasket on the front cover, i was able to use Hondabond on it to seal it up, never leaked. https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Honda-Hondabond-08717-1194-applications/dp/B00STVCWYY/ref=bmx_2/134-8296344-1317705?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00STVCWYY&pd_rd_r=d926952c-de54-4cf3-a89b-e8db9faaa134&pd_rd_w=EkDA4&pd_rd_wg=0GAxu&pf_rd_p=c5e1cf4b-c006-4b7a-bb44-797de0814d9a&pf_rd_r=FTC761W54E2DMSPJZQSA&psc=1&refRID=FTC761W54E2DMSPJZQSA

16 hours ago, Jabronie said:

How much was the bill ?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

It was done along with some other work, so unfortunately I couldn't pick it out as a discrete cost. However, taking the timing cover off and having decent access requires pulling the radiator, fan, water pump, and crank pulley.  I can't see less than 4 hours of labor there.

The challenge is that you have the front of the head gasket at the top of the timing gear cover and the pan gasket at the bottom. Replacing the timing gear cover requires you not only to keep the timing gear gasket in place, but to avoid messing up either the head gasket or pan gasket while putting the cover in place. I tried but could not get all gaskets to seal, and I've been working on cars for a long time.

I got lucky and found a gent at a local indy shop who actually worked on Z-cars at a dealership in his early career

Edited by Pilgrim

On 11/29/2020 at 2:20 PM, Jabronie said:

I'm not a mechanic. 

77 280z 2.8 NA 

How not is not?  You're probably going to break some bolts and/or studs, on the exhaust manifold, maybe even a head bolt if the head's never been off.  Injector hold-down screws break also.

How many miles on the engine?  How do you know you need a new head gasket?  What is leaking?  It's a job.

• Like 1

Good point about the potential for broken studs. The exhaust studs on the Z heads/manifolds are notorious for breaking over time.  IMO the most effective way to fix that is to take the head to a machine shop for the broken bolt or stud extractions.  I'm not good enough to trust myself trying to drill and tap broken studs when the entire head may be compromised if I screw it up. 

On my 280ZX head one stud was mechanically removable, but on the rear side of the head required a laser to cut out the old stud.