IGNORED

Just Another Damned Z Car Project Thread

conedodger

And here's what I was talking about maybe not having enough meat with a 100mm OD. Here's a quick sketch I threw together...

100mm OD, 70mm ID and two sets of bolt holes. One on a 60mm square and the other on a 60x70mm rectangle. All with the centers concentric. It looks to me like you might have some troubles with some of the holes being to close to the edge:
tbadapt1.jpg

So I don't know if the bolt pattern for the 350Z throttle body is 60x70, but I just used what I could discern from your ruler pics earlier. It looks like trouble.

Ok, a little Sunday morning update. As I have mentioned, I'm semi-retired so I worked the last two days and was excited to see that I had boxes from David and Ebay. I haven't even figured out all of the stuff David sent me! It was packed so well, I half expected to find a live squirrel in there! 😎 The Ebay box was a Master Vac from a 79 280ZX. David also sent the same thing plus. Why two? I had already did a buy-it-now on the Ebay one, but I trust a member to send a serviceable part. David did. The Ebay one looks like it was bathed in saltwater 30 years ago and pulled out last week. Thanks David!

So what am I doing and why? There are two ways to increase the assist for your braking system. One is a larger power brake booster. Of course, you are limited by what will not interfere with other installations in your engine bay and what will bolt up to the existing holes, or, what you are willing to drill for. The second is a dual diaphragm booster. These can be smaller, but the problem is finding one that will bolt up. I haven't and I assume no one else has either but hey! It could happen! 

The plan is to pack them up today and send them off to a Power brake rebuilder in San Jose or LA. Same company, just two locations. Yes, I am sending both because there is a small possibility that one might not be rebuildable. If both are, I will sell the other to a member so they can do this mod as well. A note though, I have long been one who says that the stock brake system in good serviceable order is perfectly adequate for even autocross and track days. But, I am basically doubling the stock horsepower so...

A note to anyone thinking of doing this mod, you must uninstall your clutch master cylinder to fit the booster then reinstall the clutch master cylinder. 

40 minutes ago, conedodger said:

Ok, a little Sunday morning update. As I have mentioned, I'm semi-retired so I worked the last two days and was excited to see that I had boxes from David and Ebay. I haven't even figured out all of the stuff David sent me! It was packed so well, I half expected to find a live squirrel in there! 😎 The Ebay box was a Master Vac from a 79 280ZX. David also sent the same thing plus. Why two? I had already did a buy-it-now on the Ebay one, but I trust a member to send a serviceable part. David did. The Ebay one looks like it was bathed in saltwater 30 years ago and pulled out last week. Thanks David!

I must not have used enough tape on the box if the squirrel was able to get out. 😂😂. Glad to hear it made it there safely and you are happy with it. It did look to be in decent serviceable condition. I have worked in Shipping and Receiving for many years and understand packing makes a big difference. I have gotten so many things from eBay and FB that are packed so poorly. I am amazed they weren't just a bunch of pieces in the bottom of the box. Being I work in a large warehouse I have access to a multitude of boxes and packing for free, I know those items can be costly to buy. 

I'd be interested in hearing back on how the rebuild went, Rob. I am considering this Booster upgrade on my next project / build as well. That is a long ways off still. Just gathering info and a few parts here and there. 

I did also receive the trade item in the mail the other day but have not really looked at it much other than a once over. I have been on vacation this week and spent a lot of time reorganizing my parts hoard. Plus I tucked my car away for the winter. 

TZ

TZ, I would probably rebuild that item but it worked like a charm. Just my obsessive nature I'm sure... The squirrel didn't get out until I unpacked. I wanted to just evict the little bastard from my garage but my wife named her. Now I'm stuck with the damned thing!!! Thanks David! 

• Haha 1

Ok, two boxes packed. Instructions enclosed. One box contains 73 240Z Power brake booster, the other contains two 79-81 280ZX Power brake boosters. I only intend to use one of course, but these are valuable vintage parts and someone should be bolting them on something so I am having them all done rather than putting them on a shelf where they languish and rust away.

If you need a 240Z power brake booster for your restoration or you need a 79-81 280ZX power brake booster for your restoration or upgrade, PM me. 

Oh! I also have a 15/16 master cylinder I took off that was in good shape. It isn't rebuilt and it isn't new but these are hard to find so PM me if you need it.

Edited by conedodger

When I get home, I'll draw the bolt holes for spacer to manifold and eThrottle to spacer...

It’s 130mm around and 40mm wide. The bore is 70mm. I have modeled the holes but haven’t gotten it to the point I can post it here. My son knows someone in the UNR Engineering Prototype Lab so we may go make it tomorrow...

one thing is for sure, it would be a lot less complicated if the eThrottle had a square bolt pattern!

Edited by conedodger

Anyone have a problem with my research on LED lights for my 240Z? Anyone think I need load resistors? I don't know how many Instrument Panel Lights I have so I just ordered a dozen. I did this with my 914-6 and no longer had the idle drop when I turned the lights on. 

LED Exterior lights for 240Z

Front Side Marker Lights             1156 Amber X2
Front Turn Signal Lights             1157 Amber X2
Rear Reverse Lights                1156 White X2
Brake Lights                    1157 Red X2
License Plate Lights                67 White X1
Parking Lights                    1157 Amber X2
Rear Side Marker Lights            1156 Red X2
Rear Turn Signals                1156 Amber X2
Taillights                     1157 Red X2

LED Interior Lights for 240Z

Instrument Panel Lights            194 Blue or Red X12