IGNORED

240z (barely) runs very unevenly!

Bettan_85

Hi, I almost didn’t make it all the way home today since my 240z -73, 5 spd, now runs terribly bad! ? 

it sort of looses all power/fuel (?) pressure, the Roms drop and then milliseconds later picks up again. please see the attached video!!

I suspect the issue arose after I left the car outside during a Rainy night, however that might just conincide with the issue...

Anyhow, first it just dropped power a couple of Times during a 30 min drive, but since then it has only been worse, and now I can barely drive it. And then it works fine for a couple of minutes, then back to worse. 

Anyone with a clue where to start? I quite recently (been driving 20h plus since) changed the spark plugs, condenser, distributor rotor, point set, fuel filter. 

Super thankful for all input, been planning a road trip with some friends this Friday ?..

Thanks! 

I would try replacing the condenser with one of you old ones if you still have it, I just went though three new ones that I bought from rockauto and all three failed. I am back to using one of my old ones with no problem.

It’s the first time it acts like this! Just started a couple of days ago. 
It happens both under load and during idle., however was more noticable at higher rpms First.

yes, I checked the gap on the points at least. And! They’ve been working like a charm for 20 hours (at least).

any ideas? ? 

Yes, they all seemed to work at first, I do not recall how long the first two lasted, a couple of weeks maybe? they would start causing the car to run very rough and backfire, the timing gets messed up. The last one went for about 150 km and then started doing the following, it would be running well and just shut off like the key was turn off, it restarted every time for a while and I thought I had a loose wire, and then completely died. Swapping out it with an old one worked. If you do not have the old one try using the one that is on the coil as I am sure it is just for noise suppression for the radio. 

I'm leaning (snort) to a fuel problem. I've experienced similar symptoms and found them to be water related. If you have any clear fuel filters, check those for water. I'd also pull a float chamber top to see if there is water in the bottom of the bowl(s).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1