IGNORED

73 240z restoration 904 White

DC871F

2 minutes ago, Patcon said:

I don't understand.

Where were you blowing through??

I dont have pics of it. It was the area where the frame rail was attached on the opposite side that must have a little rust in it. The firewall (footwell) thickness seems a lot lighter than the floor thickness. Maybe old, thin, slightly rusty metal didnt want to cooperate. Maybe of I were a better welder it would work.

I try the following when I have blow through issues:

Turn the welder down (I have 12 settings on mine and have had to use #1 on certain areas of the car)

Really short trigger burst

Feed out more wire from the tip

Put a piece of copper behind is to help distribute heat

Is the gas too high

24 minutes ago, Patcon said:

I try the following when I have blow through issues:

Turn the welder down (I have 12 settings on mine and have had to use #1 on certain areas of the car)

Really short trigger burst

Feed out more wire from the tip

Put a piece of copper behind is to help distribute heat

Is the gas too high

Gotten used to these techniques with this old Datsun metal. It was getting to the point of being such a cold weld that it was causing more problems. Decided to cut a bunch out and patch it. I was just the area that was under the original floor pan up front where its seam sealed.

• Like 1

Finished patch panel on forward attach panel for right floor pan, and welded up holes where I drilled spot welds on the rear attach area.

Next, weld in floor pan.

IMG_20211202_170643467_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211206_171653842_HDR.jpg

Copper backing to weld in holes.

IMG_20211206_173536343_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211206_175333859.jpg

IMG_20211206_180223458.jpg

IMG_20211206_233310656.jpg

IMG_20211206_233319622.jpg

Edited by DC871F
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Final fitting of passenger floor pan. 

Had to go to work before welding in, hopefully before Christmas it will be in.

Have some weld through primer on the joining seems, but I'm wondering what to use after its installed on the area that will be plug welded on the rocker. Just something like epoxy primer to get it up there in the seem thats on the bottom of the car?

IMG_20211217_145041458.jpg

IMG_20211217_151630257_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211217_153357586_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211217_153409368_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211217_163024424.jpg

IMG_20211217_173422668_HDR.jpg

8 minutes ago, Patcon said:

I would use seam sealer on the joint from the floor pan to the rocker panel. If it already has weld thru primer on it, it'll be fine.

When you look at the factory installation, down on the bottom side of that joint it seems they left it bare. On the inside there was all kinds of sealer that had to be ground out, seemed pointless unless it was just to make it air tight, but did nothing from below to keep water and debris out.

I like the idea of seam sealer, but before I was thinking pf packing as much epoxy or rust pain as possible in there before had.

7 hours ago, DC871F said:

When you look at the factory installation, down on the bottom side of that joint it seems they left it bare. On the inside there was all kinds of sealer that had to be ground out, seemed pointless unless it was just to make it air tight, but did nothing from below to keep water and debris out.

I like the idea of seam sealer, but before I was thinking pf packing as much epoxy or rust pain as possible in there before had.

Anything you do will be way more than the factory did and the cars lasted 50 years, many of which were probably neglected due to being a relatively cheap car. That won't be the case going forward. Should last just fine another 50-60.

It may be all (or most) the seam sealer was done from top side for ease of manufacturing. I suspect the seams were sealed to keep the interior dry, not necessarily for longevity

• Like 1