IGNORED

Refurbished 1970 240Z Sells for $77,240 on BaT

16 hours ago, Diseazd said:

Yeah, I bought a set of OEM door cards sometime back that had the holes for the pull handle on the driver side. All doors have the receiver threads for the bolts that hold the pull handle on (at least my early 71 did). I just attached a new pull handle and was done. It’s a nice addition and I always wondered why the set was cut for the driver side handle. Anyone know the answer? @Carl Beck   BTW....nice job in picking that out Site.....very observant!.

There are a couple elements that need to be distinctly identified. a) the compressed fiber door panel  and b) the vinyl covering. I take it that you are talking about the holes in vinyl covering - Y/N?

The difference between the later left side door panel - on the Left Hand or Right Hand Drive models - was the pre-cut holes in the vinyl. (see picture below).

As far as I can remember - the original early fiber door panels for the Left Hand Drive Z’s did not have the holes in the fiber door panel backing necessary to mount the Passenger Assist Straps on the Drivers Door.  That was changed some time later. Will see if I can find or get some pictures.

My guess related to why the Passenger Assist Strap is on the subject $77K example - The Seller said it was a 10 year project - he most likely ordered the correct part number for the Left Hand Drive model, but received a replacement meant for use on a Right Hand Drive model. On these the black vinyl had holes pre-cut for the Pass.Asst.Strap - and the only way to cover it was to install the Strap.   This happened to several of us back in the late 90’s and early 2000’s.

When i received the wrong panels - I notified Courtesy Nissan and they replaced them for me with the correct parts. 

LeftDoorPanels.jpg

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 6:56 AM, HS30-H said:

Mr Robert Jackson / 'The 240Z Guild' has a reputation:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=229228

That is more like a history than a reputation. 

I am constantly amazed at how well 240zguild guy sells cars.  During auctions, he is always dropping comments about some past transaction that implies expertise. If you look at past auctions that aren't even his, he always sells himself and his shop in his comments seemingly just to get his name out there. "When we do our cars...".  He is very subtle about it. He blessed this one at the end of the auction to make the buyer feel that he got a good price. Its a pretty good business model if you know how to sell used cars.  Give yourself a name that implies expertise and double the price of what you sell. 

Technical Information:

USA AND CANADA parts reference; revised December 1973

80900-E4600  RH and 80901-E4600 LH up to 06/72.  Nothing said about the door handle and the parts diagram shows the RH (passenger) door.

Nissan Fairlady Z Parts Catalog 1972 from 1969

80900-E4100 / E4101 (RH) and 80901-E4100 / E4101 (LH).  Distinguishing between LH and RH drive and the parts diagram shows the driver's door without the handle.

Both of my cars did not have the handle on the driver's door.  My opinion of why the driver's door didn't get a handle is because it protrudes into the "sphere of control and accessibility" for the driver.  We can't get proper driver's door (LH) any more because they are NLA and there are plenty of Japanese domestic passenger door finishers available.