IGNORED

LED headlight question

siteunseen

I thought I would post my recent experience with headlights.  I bought some LED lights from this company https://vintagecarleds.com/7-inch-round-headlights/.  I've been looking at LED's for a while for both my Z and my roadster.  They installed on the Z perfectly, and it is amazing to be able to see at night.  The best things about these are 1) they have glass lenses and 2) they are plug and play-no cutting or filing to get them to fit either of these cars.   Since they draw about half the amperage, they put less stress on the circuitry.  

I've become so accustomed to "Some assembly required" that I'm genuinely surprised when an after market part fits with no fuss.

This company had a black Friday sale that was 20% off, but I believe they have other sales throughout the year.  I will be ordering a second set for the other car (VC35000).  To be clear, I have no affiliation with this company, but I wanted to provide my experience in case any of you folks may be looking for a headlight upgrade.  I've received a lot of useful information here. 

• Like 3

So, I have experimented a lot with different LED headlights. The current setup in my 260Z is H4 housings (the old Black Dragon H4s) with Auxito H4 9003 LED Headlights, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TQLK6SH.

Those bulbs can be combined with about any H4 housings, such as Hella.

They throw out a lot of useful light, especially on high beams. It's a reasonably economic solution, and the bulbs are polarity independent.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tlorber said:

I thought I would post my recent experience with headlights.  I bought some LED lights from this company https://vintagecarleds.com/7-inch-round-headlights/.  

I agree with all your comments on the headlights.   I have the VC3500 set installed for over 2 years now and have been very pleased with them.  In addition, they mimic the look of standard sealed beams without the look of lights that came from a mars rover.

Although they draw less current, I opted to install a relay harness to preserve the combination switch.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I had some cheapo (£38gbp) Vanssi branded LED H4 bulbs off AliExpress about 5-6 years ago. Never had to modify any wiring, they just plugged in and worked!

Transformed my nighttime driving without causing undue dazzle to anyone.

They will still take 1/3 of the juice required by halogens. You wouldn’t imagine it matters with LEDs but fresh wiring would make them even brighter - even though I’m still using 40+ year old wiring. I know this because my alternator gives 12.9 v at idle (Ati racing damper with half sized pulley) and at 1.1k rpm I get the full 14.x volts and the bulbs do get slightly brighter!

I can’t find them on AliExpress anymore though so I can’t send you a link.

The key thing to consider with those bulbs is that for a decent beam pattern, the orientation (you can spin the bit that houses the LEDs) is different to halogens.

Low beam

3c48ef817cb186d9bbfdba3f4809b107.jpg

High beam
469f2e5d85931dff96cf48921be54754.jpg

Comparison to halogens

20b486b20b195d7a175262ac49dd96c8.jpg

Correct orientation

fcdfdd6bd943424b9dd0b10b1611ca26.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ps. They just popped up in my AliExpress notifications - looks like 13th gen is now available again. I bought the Vanssi brand on the recommendations of another UK Zclub member and I have to say, they have far exceeded my expectations and lasted well. I do a lot of night time Z driving in the summer after I get home from work, so they’ve had a decent workout.

£23.34 34% Off | VANSSI 13G 130W 40000LM H4 H7 H11 LED Car Headlight Bulbs High Power Style HB4 9006 9005 HB3 H1 H15 H16 H10 Fog Lamp 6k White
https://a.aliexpress.com/_vDvX3P

40k lumens does seem excessive though, but take it with a pinch of salt - it depends on how they calculate it - it’s much like PMPO v RMS in the hifi world. It’s a case of divide by 4 to get each “beam’s” lumens and even then they probably measured brightness at 18v (or more) with some caveats to win the marketing arms race.

The real output is around 3500-4000lm which is about the same as modern car HID (AKA Xenon) bulbs and what I experience on the road on my Z.

But at that price it’s worth a punt, no?