IGNORED

ring gap posistion

Dave WM

I would use the Total Seal rings again just for the clean oil aspect, if that's all they were good for.  Also, if the rings do in fact rotate, and if they don't rotate in sync with each other, one could argue the ring gaps may well line up at some point allowing combustion gases a clear shot to the crankcase.  I would love to see real numbers on performance benefits of reducing blow-by, excluding the supposed benefits of not coating intake runners with oil, etc.

Where these rings would really be of value might be in a diesel engine.  I swear the oil in my truck turns black in a hundred miles (WAG, but you get my point).  I can't believe all that carbon is good for the engine, yet they can run over a half-million miles without a lot of trouble.  

So this is slightly related since an engine is an engine.  I work at an aircraft piston engine overhaul shop and a couple of years ago our engine test cell was rented out to an investigation team looking in to the effects ring gap has on horsepower. The short story is that even at an inch of ring gap the horsepower stayed constant...it smoked worse than a diesel though!

I did a quick look at total seal site, seems they had a 2nd ring gapless option but now a 1st? at least that is my take from what I found looking at the pdf catalog under 75-80 280z. there was  complete set for 81-83 280zx, showed those rings with a slightly different thickness IIRC.