IGNORED

options for transmission hump covering

Jeff Berk

I'm taking my car's interior back to the way it was in 1974. It was update to red shag carpeting in the early 1980's. The carpet was installed wall to wall, or actually sill to sill. That being the case, when I installed the new carpet, I have a bare transmission hump, 1/2 wall behind the seats, and along the sills. 

I know I can purchase pre-cut vinyl or leather to recover these areas, but due to my combination of wanting to do as much as I can myself and being short on cash (I'm furloughed), I'd like to DIY if possible. It seems that all that is needed is some upholstery vinyl at $20 per yard or am I missing something? 

Jeff

GK:

Thanks for the reply. I ended up using a vinyl from JoAnn Fabric rated for 50,000 double rubs meaning it is very abrasion resistant. A reviewer said they used it for boat seats 10 years ago and it was still holding up. Total cost with shipping and several stacked discounts was $26. At that price I can afford to make some mistakes.

• Like 1

I'm considering getting fancy with that vinyl and quilting the diamond pattern on it. Can someone give me the distance between the parallel lines for the early (large) diamond pattern? I'm assuming the lines cross at about 60 degrees. I should have a lot of scrap to practice on as I've never quilted before but luckily my wife has. Maybe her helping me on this will get her to be more accepting of having "that stinky car in the garage".   

Edited by Jeff Berk

Ever wonder where Nissan took its inspiration from when it decided to go with the quilted-vinyl look for the Z's interior panels?  A good bet would be the 1965 Bizzarini 5300 GT -- one of the premiere supercars of its day.

spacer.gifspacer.gifBizzarrini-5300-GT-Spyder-Interior1.jpg

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Bizzarini's trimmer had already been using this material for speedboats.  It's not a look that appeals to everyone.