Namerow

S30 Sheet Metal - Body and Chassis Panel Thicknesses

Meticulous measurements, backed up by supporting info re panel originality and paint application, so pretty hard to argue with.  I am inclined to agree, then, with your conclusion that the factory panels appear to have been made from 0.8mm sheet.  That sits right in the middle of the spec range for 22-gauge.  How do we reconcile this with @ConVerTT's values of 20-gauge for the door skins?

• Like 1

I am not prepared to accept that conclusion at all without further investigation ....

I can offer the following:  I have several NOS parts, never installed, and in factory primer, that I will measure this weekend.  (Fenders, rear quarter, inner rocker, inner wheelhouse that I will re-measure and post here.  I also still have a door skin that I just removed from a 72 as well.

I can't do it until the weekend though so please be patient ....

• Like 2

@Namerow When I strip my doors I will try to get measurements, I also have doors from a 12/70 parts car in my shed that I will try to get to and measure.

@ConVerTT I respect your position and look forward to seeing your findings, thanks in advance.

Edited by CanTechZ

I removed the chrome trim from my doors and found a spot to measure the door skin thickness. I measured .036" (.91mm) with paint, and .032" (.81mm) with paint removed.

1970 door skin thk HLS30-06521.jpg

Multiple measurements from 72 door - 46081 built 9/71.  The door has been chemically stripped and sanded with the Contour SCT with 120 grit....

2F1E6A2B-0675-400D-B661-3F8DC742A9E4.jpeg

D4B1F006-7C34-43F8-840C-55066636831F.jpeg

Zeroed ...

FDEC40A0-DE69-4CBC-B96F-011BAFC5107F.jpeg

Window edge ...

B4D8C699-A8AD-4B9D-B503-887484B49E98.jpeg

Mid-door

D35D551F-8CE4-443C-AE62-83604A339502.jpeg

20FEF5DA-70D6-40EF-A68E-3C227CFF0D67.jpeg

More mid door on the edge of thr cut section ...

D39547FD-888D-4437-B343-567782445970.jpeg

84A06F05-7413-454C-86AB-909B8821CBE8.jpeg

DF63736F-FD03-44F0-9C32-656F4C188C27.jpeg

02B76B16-FFE2-410A-9FC0-CA3AE960EFC0.jpeg

So:  Two sets of well-executed/well-documented measurements with different results.  They aren't quite apples and apples, though.  CanTechZ has measured Series 1 front/rear fenders and floors and gets a pretty consistent 0.8mm result..  ConverTT has measured Series 2 door skins and gets an equally consistent result of 1.0mm.

Others have reported 0.032" >> 0.8mm) for a couple of other panels  : jfa.series1 for the front inner fender apron (i.e. engine compartment side wall), and me for my Series 1 front valence panel.

I have a theory (untested and unproven so far)...

ConverTT's photo of his Series 2 door where the outer skin has been cut off provides a great view of the side impact bar (and I use that term with some reservatyion when it comes to the piece used in the S30's doors :rolleyes:).  As near as I can tell, that Series 2 impact bar looks exactly the same as the ones in the doors of my Series 1 (SN in the 3500's).  And yet, it was always my understanding that those side impact bars weren't part of the early cars.  Or maybe that was only the case for the early early cars?  Or maybe my car is wearing replacement doors from a Series 2?   Note that the online Parts Manual shows a change in part numbers for the two doors as of October 1971... although that doesn't really explain whether anything changed in the design.

My theory, then:  Is it possible that Nissan neither added nor changed the size of the side impact bars, but instead simply increased the thickness of both the outer door skins (and maybe the bars, too) from 0.8mm to 1.0mm?   There would be a certain logic to this, because Nissan probably could have left their tooling unchanged and just changed the thickness of the panel stock.

@ConVerTT  Can you please take some measurements on a rear quarter at the opening for the side marker light?

@CanTechZ  Can you please take a measurement on one (or both) of your doors?  Say, at the opening for the door handle?  failing that, maybe on the lip the mounts the upper chrome moulding?  If time permits, I'll do the same later with the doors on my car later today (I want to make a start on my income tax return this afternoon <_< ).

16 minutes ago, Namerow said:

ConverTT's photo of his Series 2 door where the outer skin has been cut off provides a great view of the side impact bar (and I use that term with some reservatyion when it comes to the piece used in the S30's doors :rolleyes:).  As near as I can tell, that Series 2 impact bar looks exactly the same as the ones in the doors of my Series 1 (SN in the 3500's).  And yet, it was always my understanding that those side impact bars weren't part of the early cars.  Or maybe that was only the case for the early early cars?  Or maybe my car is wearing replacement doors from a Series 2?   Note that the online Parts Manual shows a change in part numbers for the two doors as of October 1971... although that doesn't really explain whether anything changed in the design

My 72 was built in Sep 71 ...

Edited by ConVerTT

I can take some move measurements on my series 1.  Need to wait for a rainy day - she's napping ....

11F784F0-8B2A-4467-9746-F5CAAAD979EF.jpeg

• Like 1

Here are measurements for both doors and from a LH door from my 12'70 parts car. All measurements are bare metal taken from the top window edge with the chrome strip removed. The door handle openings are too small to measure through.

7/70 LH door vin 06521 measurement by micrometer: .031" (.79mm) by digital caliper: .80mm

LH Door HLS30-06521.jpg

7/70 RH door vin 06521 measurement by micrometer: .033" (.84mm) by digital caliper: .84mm

RH Door HLS30-06521.jpg

12/70 LH door vin 16531 measurement by micrometer: .033" (.84mm) by digital caliper: .83mm

LH Door HLS30-16531.jpg

Sorry, I don't know how to rotate images when uploading, they look correct on my computer. Also regarding measuring, I prefer to use a micrometer when possible as it is more precise. When measuring with a digital or vernier caliper I find it best to only use the end of the jaws for measuring sheet metal, when using the full length of the jaws flatness of the sheet metal can effect the measurement. Also I find it's much harder with a caliper to get a true reading while taking a picture.

5 hours ago, Namerow said:

Excellent!  Nice parts storage rack, BTW.

Thanks...another project brought to you by Covid-19 ...

• Haha 1

Is that a roof panel I see on one of those racks?  If it is, and if you don't mind the climb, it would be interesting to get a thickness measurement off that piece.  I can't see it being less than 0.8mm, but it would be nice to know for sure.  Hard to get this measurement off an intact car, unless it's been cut for a sunroof.  Not urgent, but maybe when you better access develops.

59 minutes ago, Namerow said:

Is that a roof panel I see on one of those racks?  If it is, and if you don't mind the climb, it would be interesting to get a thickness measurement off that piece.  I can't see it being less than 0.8mm, but it would be nice to know for sure.  Hard to get this measurement off an intact car, unless it's been cut for a sunroof.  Not urgent, but maybe when you better access develops.

Good eye - yes it is.  It's a patch for 05677 - which has a massive sun roof hole cut.  I should be able to get several spot measurements fairly easily ....

In the top right corner you can see the NOS rear qtr (also for 05677).  I plan to measure that too, but I don't really know when it was made so it might not help much.  It is part number 78101 - E8300.  Its vented, so it is not from a Series 1 ...

Edited by ConVerTT