IGNORED

Any tips on getting the quarterlight seals to relax?

BoldUlysses

Being struggling with these for FAR too long this afternoon.  Yes, the seals are installed correctly, with the longer "leg" of the seal's "U" toward the outside. 

I knew it was going to be a struggle, but holy cow.  I can get the bottom 2 screws in (barely), but the top two end up 1/2" or so off and will not go any farther.  Gap between the seal and the body at the back at the window.  I've tried silicone spray on the seals, and it helped a bit, but it feels like it's just bottoming out mechanically, not sticking.

Any and all advice appreciated.

Thanks as always.

I would warm up the seal, lube it and the body, then when you insert the window try to get an awl in both top and bottom holes at the back and draw the window in, a second pairs of hands can set a screw in the top and bottom hole in the front and push the window in from the outside at the same time.

• Like 1

Get the seals out and wash them in a normal wash detergent, they will get soft and flexible.. leave them in the detergent for a few days or even a week. Then you can use siliconespray or there is some special rubber spray for doorrubbers to keep them soft, also used for not sticking rubbers when it freezes.. good luck!

Thanks guys.  The seals are brand new and soft and supple already, so heat was of limited effect.  I also didn't want to remove them since they're already bonded to the quarterlight frames with weatherstripping adhesive.

This was the winning technique:

15 hours ago, grannyknot said:

when you insert the window try to get an awl in both top and bottom holes at the back and draw the window in,

I pivoted the rear corner up and in just enough to be able to insert a thick drift punch (my "awl") through the top rear holes and draw it toward the back.  I was concerned I would crush the threads but it was OK.  While holding it with one hand, the other hand secured the top front screw.  After having lubed the bottom of the cavity, I was able to push the bottom of the window in enough to secure the bottom two screws.

What a pain.

Edited by BoldUlysses
  • Like 2

I went thru this frustrating exercise years ago.  With no one around to assist I found it impossible to both get the assembly pushed back into the body and get the screws in place to lock it down.  My solution was to create "extra hands" with a ratcheting tie-down strap.  I installed a large hook in the base plate of the garage wall and positioned the car with the rear towards the hook.  A length of stout rope was attached to the hook.  One end of the strap was attached to the rope, the strap passed into the car via the open hatch, around the front of the quarter window and back to the rope for a second attachment.  The rope allowed for a shallow angle for the strap.  Gentle ratcheting pulled the window into position and held it in place to get the screws installed.  Loosen the strap, re-position the car, and repeat for the second window.  Thankfully, no pictures exist of this particular McGyver moment. ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jfa.series1 said:

I went thru this frustrating exercise years ago.  With no one around to assist I found it impossible to both get the assembly pushed back into the body and get the screws in place to lock it down.  My solution was to create "extra hands" with a ratcheting tie-down strap.  I installed a large hook in the base plate of the garage wall and positioned the car with the rear towards the hook.  A length of stout rope was attached to the hook.  One end of the strap was attached to the rope, the strap passed into the car via the open hatch, around the front of the quarter window and back to the rope for a second attachment.  The rope allowed for a shallow angle for the strap.  Gentle ratcheting pulled the window into position and held it in place to get the screws installed.  Loosen the strap, re-position the car, and repeat for the second window.  Thankfully, no pictures exist of this particular McGyver moment. ?

^Great resourcefulness!  I'm glad I didn't have to go that far, though...

I just did this recently and for sure it's not an easy task, I even tried ratcheting straps without success. I lubed the seals with silicone spray and trick for me was to fasten the first top screw (facing the front of the vehicle) the bottom screw directly underneath and applying  appropriate pressure. 

Hope this helps.

OaQ_35Bd2vEUa_XWSOB7LodBlz86dkXuXDPtwH_A

Edited by Electrolabs

1 minute ago, 240260280 said:

The trick it to buy longer screws or bolts and bring the window in a little at a time until you can replace each long screw one-at-a time with a shorter screw.

E-Z P-Z

Good point!  Two thoughts:

- I am going to retrofit (slightly) longer bolts with an actual hex head.  Way too much pressure on the tiny phillips screws and they strip out too easily.
- Wick Humble says the later Z actually went to longer screws b/c (his theory) the factory assembly line workers were having the same issue we are...

• Like 1