IGNORED

Stopping rust from worsening

z32 fairlady

I am roughly 6 months (estimated) away from putting the car in the shop for body work.  In the meantime, I am stripping the car and enjoying it after getting it running right and in a reliable state.

The car had a vinyl top which I removed hastily a year ago causing a majority of the adhesive to bake onto roof.  I recently removed the vinyl from the hatch lid which left me in awe at the original paint.  Neither here nor there...

Real reason for the post -

1. Is it worth putting some sort of rust inhibitor on the roof and affected areas between now and until it goes into the body shop?
  2. How does that affect body work in the future?
  3. For the roof, is it worth sourcing a roof for replacement instead of metalwork?

Note around the front windshield pillars on either side, there are holes.

IMG_20200304_121359.jpg

IMG_20200304_121418.jpg

IMG_20200304_121445.jpg

IMG_20200304_121456.jpg

I would treat it. I think you are likely to need a new roof skin if there is any other pitting. if not, the corners can probably be patched. Rusty metal, ultimately, has to be gotten clean and then I would treat it.

6 minutes ago, Av8ferg said:

http://www.corroseal.com

This is a great product. Converts rust to an inert madnetite and stops it in its tracks. I’ve used on numerous applications to include my personal vehicle.
Take a look at the link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds interesting but implying sandblasting is environmentally unfriendly is a bit of a stretch I think.

Sounds interesting but implying sandblasting is environmentally unfriendly is a bit of a stretch I think.

It’s unfriendly if you are in the room with out a mask I guess. Silly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1