IGNORED

Brake Booster Rebuild Help

ToolBoy

Just occurred to me when thinking of your initial question. The rubber reaction disk "E" that sits against the pushrod can fall inside the housing when the pushrod is removed if one isn't careful.  

Hey HappyZ,   Glad to help out a little as most of the time I'm confused and terrified.  After I had mine torn apart I went to the local Z mechanic to find out how the poppett assembly came apart. He said he didn't know as he had never done it and always "sent them out". The guys on this site saved me on that one. When you tear apart the entire unit and study it you see that the vacuum is held inside the front shell between that shell and the big rubber diaphram that is included of the rebuild kit. There are only a couple places vacuum can escape but one is to the front around the plate and seal and thru the pushrod. My suspicion is that if you don't have a perfect seal at the plate and seal, the installation of the master cylinder stops the vacuum after it has been fitted. I think I checked vacuum only after bolting that on.  ( I think ).

9 hours ago, ToolBoy said:

My suspicion is that if you don't have a perfect seal at the plate and seal, the installation of the master cylinder stops the vacuum after it has been fitted. I think I checked vacuum only after bolting that on.

In reality, you don't ever want to draw a vacuum against the back of the master cylinder. In fact, on the original system, I there's a hole to prevent just that.

You shouldn't block that hole (like with a gasket or something). and because there IS a hole there, the bolting of the master cylinder to the booster will do nothing to retain vacuum.

21 hours ago, ToolBoy said:

Just occurred to me when thinking of your initial question. The rubber reaction disk "E" that sits against the pushrod can fall inside the housing when the pushrod is removed if one isn't careful.  

I ALWAYS crazy glue the reaction disk to the piston when I take these things apart. No way I’m ever losing that thing again...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ToolBoy said:

Perfect, I never noticed that passage before. I'm hoping I can get plate/seal/rod to seal well enough.

If the surface of the rod isn't all pitted with rust, it should seal pretty well. In the area where it matters, yours looks pretty good.

So about the vent passage... Are you sure the gasket you put on there isn't compressed into the vent and blocking it off? I'm beginning to think that there is NOT another passageway on the adapter plate or the back of the master cylinder. That slot may be the only vent?

Thanks for the follow-up. The rod does look good although it might have a few tiny chips in it and I don't remember if I used the plate and seal from the kit or the one that came with the car. The first time I checked vacuum it held and the second time it dropped a little. I cut the gasket myself but given the new info I'll leave it off when I reassemble. You're in Philly?  My mom's brother lived in Philly for 30 years and my mom is from Beaver Falls. I'm originally from Lancaster.