IGNORED

72 240 Transmission Crossmember Rubber Bushings

Zaspen

I made a rookie mistake and had all the pieces of my transmission crossmember power coated including the inner piece that has the rubber bushings.  Well the rubber bushings melted away- go figure.  I turned to the poly bushings which apparently don't fit a 72 mount and now I'm at a bit of a loss.  Anybody have any replacement ideas or even an old mount with good bushings laying around?  The OEM replacement bushings have been NLA for years.  Zeddsaver has a restored one for $200 plus shipping so that is always a (pricy) option. I'm trying to keep my restoration as correct as possible so I really want to stick with the original mount style.  Picture of my mount style below for reference

20171110_113059.jpg

Looks like you need part #18.  It would have a metal sleeve around the rubber.  Is the metal sleeve still in yours?  Not really clear what went wrong with yours.  The rubber does not melt.

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/engine-240z-260z/engine-mounting/manual-from-c-hls30-46001-rls30-grls30

So the metal sleeve is still in there, I think I see it).  I wonder if the urethane bushings are meant to have the sleeve removed?  Might be an option if you can't find a replacement.  Press the sleeve out with a vise or a press if the urethane that you have is too tight to fit.  It's probably about like a front control arm bushing.

• 2 months later...

Maybe something in the universal sizes are close?  There must be some other car that has a similar size bushing.

https://www.suspension.com/universal-bushings.asp

Some rubber style too :

https://www.rpmrubberparts.com/stock-parts/category/vibration-control-products/bushings/center-bonded-bushings

Edited by Terrapin Z
added info

• 1 month later...

For future reference I did figure something out for these bushings.  The outer transverse link rubber bushings have the same OD and length for the body of the bushing.  The inner sleeve has a bigger ID but the original crossmember inner sleeve fits perfectly inside the new bushing,  The new bushing also has a slightly shorter sleeve so you have to make that distance up with a spacer.  Luckily I had some old transverse link bushings that I was able to pull the inner sleeve and cut to size.  I should have taken some pictures but I was pushing to get it done and the tranny in.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Zaspen...I am replacing bushings and mounts in a 1972 240Z. I have the same transmission cross member mount as you have in the above thread and the same problem with finding replacement bushings. I ordered bushings and a new insulator mount online but the bushings and insulator are for the larger type cross member and do not fit. Did you use the outer control arm bushings as you described, and did they work. Also, did you change the rubber insulator mount and if so, do you remember where you bought it.

When viewing the www.carpartsmanual.com site that Zed Head sent you back in February of 2020, it would seem that the transmission cross member mount (Engine Mounting) configuration changed in July of 72 (which may have been with the beginning of the 73 production).