IGNORED

Removing Intake Manifold Heat Shield

ea6driver

I've successfully removed all the bolts securing this heat shield to the underside of the intake manifold, but it seems as though the EGR pipe (the pipe that is connected between the intake and exhaust manifolds) is blocking the heat shield from being able to be removed from the engine.  I tried for several minutes trying to wiggle the heat shield out, but with no luck. The next logical step would be to remove the EGR pipe to get it out of the way, but everything I've read on this forum indicates that loosening the bolts that secure the EGR pipe is damn near impossible.  Am I missing any trick to getting the heat shield out with the EGR pipe still installed?

Since you still have the EGR ( I have mine also) you don't have to remove the tube.  It does help to remove the PCV hose.  If I remember correctly, the biggest heat shield comes out only one way, and I can never remember that one way each time I've removed mine ?. You probably need to wiggle some more and it will magically come out. Just remember the way its came out because that is the only way it will go back in.  I'm going to go out on a limb, but I think the folks who deleted the EGR altogether don't have this problem......

• Haha 1

Thanks for all those comments/pieces of advice.  I've completely remove the "vertical" heat shield that's bolted to the bottom of the larger "horizontal" heat shield...that one was no problem.  Took some doing, but finally got all the bolts off that secure the "horizontal" heat shield to the bottom of the intake manifold.  The PCV valve hose has been removed.  In the photo above that siteunseen posted, his EGR tube has been removed...didn't know if he meant to imply that he was able to slide the heat shield out before or after that tube had been removed.   Gwri8 seems to recall that it will come out with the EGR tube still installed, but that it only comes out one way...so with that in mind I'll head back out to the garage and wrestle with it some more.  Will report back.

57 minutes ago, ea6driver said:

Took some doing, but finally got all the bolts off that secure the "horizontal" heat shield to the bottom of the intake manifold.  The PCV valve hose has been removed.  In the photo above that siteunseen posted, his EGR tube has been removed..

Question - how many bolts have you removed from the 'horizontal" heat shield? I am assuming by horizontal you mean parallel to the top of the valve cover / parallel to the oil pan....

I was able to 'feel' 6 fasteners - one each under #1, #3, #4 & #6 runner, and two under the main intake - one of the fastener locations can be seen very clearly in Cliff's photo - view an imaginary line from the front - outside of #5 intake, and then draw down to the bottom of the intake. Sorry, no photo editing capabilities to circle it.

All the bolts securing the heat shield are definitely removed...I can easily slide the heat shield fore/aft & side/side enough to tell that all the bolts are out.  It's just that, because the shield is somewhat "preformed" (i.e., three dimensional, not completely flat), it is easily wedged by the intake runners and the EGR tube.  Still working on it.

sorry...should have mentioned that not just the hose, but also the pcv valve itself is removed.  Turns out that on the 78 year model, the egr pipe itself has its own heat shield...of course, the screws that secure the egr pipe heat shield to the egr pipe are severely corroded.  Imagine that.  So i'm working on removing that heat shield now.  It looks as though, once removed, that there will be some more wiggle room.

Well...I have no idea if I'll ever get it back in again...but it's out!  And like gwri8 said...it was just "magical".  I was just twisting, tugging cussing, gripping with pliers and swearing that there was simply no way this was gonna work....when, all of a sudden, it just slipped free.  So, I can independently verify that the heat shield is removable with the EGR tube in place.  Even with the EGR tube heat shield still in place.  Thanks to all...moving along to the next puzzle...

image1.jpeg

• Like 3