IGNORED

Considering complete restore 1970 240z

z8987

Makes more sense.  The odds of it being original are slim, and if it is it's probably worn out.
It looks like you're doing a restoration so maybe even original mechanical parts are important.  But $350 for a worn out clutch disc and pressure plate seems a bit much.  If that's what you're looking for, original parts, make sure you check the markings and labels.  I can't believe that somebody would even ask that amount for those parts.
Get pictures, post them, and we'll tear them apart.

Again my poor communications. It the clutch pedal assembly. My 1970 series 1 is an automatic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that people call that the "pedal box".  Make sure that you get all of the parts that come with it.  $350 still seems steep and I don't know if "Series I" matters.  The 240Z guys know, I've done my communications monitoring...

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/brake/brake-clutch-pedal

I have a memory of @cgsheen1 knowing a lot about this.

Edited by Zed Head

The pedal boxes changed with the brake booster. So I believe the '70-'72 are all the same - the '73 is different, and then the '74-'76 are all the same. The pedal boxes had to change because of the spacing required for different brake boosters. The early clutch pedals are very different than the 260-280.  You'll know if it's correct if the clutch pedal arm is thinner than the brake and curved along it's vertical axis.

If you're doing an automatic to manual conversion, don't change out the entire pedal box unless you have everything striped down to the bone. Just replace the pedals and associated hardware (springs, bushings, and etc.). The boxes were made to be interchangeable and accept the auto brake pedal or the clutch and brake for the manual transmission madels.

$350 sounds a little steep to me also, but if it's been meticulously restored with new hardware, and foot pads, maybe. The state of the other hardware might be just as important as the pedals. There are a few "wear items" that you would want to be in good condition.  I have a few pedal boxes, maybe I should put them up for extra cash - naw, then I'd have someone come in wanting a swap...

Edited by cgsheen1
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm creating a matrix/spreadsheet that I'll use to rebuild the 70 240z.   I'd like to outline everything that can be done that I'd be able to use to get bids for portions I don't want to do, and track the things I want to do.  I can see it being use for a full rebuild being done by myself, or getting bids from others.  Any ideas? 

• Like 1