IGNORED

HELP PLEASE!!!Need to find TDC with no regular indicators

zdude1967

23 hours ago, zdude1967 said:

Mark-thanks. I used a bit after the piston stopped raising and before it started dropping so I would guess I am close

Zed head- Dizzy is a stock replacement from motorsports, I bought a few years back. I cannot recall if it came with a new base. Also it has the crane xr -700 ignition module which requires a different piece to be put under the rotor that comes with the crane module.Is it possible that when the engine was rebuilt since they did not use the Nissan cam gear (the one with the numbers and the v notch) is it possible that they set the chain up one tooth or something off and would that create the situation I am having with being out of advance

@zdude1967 I have the crane system on my car. It gives you a lot of timing adjustment in the mount inside of the distributor. Now that you have TDC you should be able to point the rotor at number 1 cable then rotate the module on the bracket until the red light come on. That get you very close to Zero degrees. Now that you have it running you be close and that should open up your ability to use your light to set timing where you want it. 
couple of pictures of mine. 8375B01E-CF3E-4322-9D21-DAB3849455A4.jpeg0249AD2D-A041-4360-B2A4-A708BF83FD1C.jpeg

• Like 1

7tooZ

So just unscrew the silver screw and move the module clockwise and adjust using that extra play in the banana shaped bracket. That will give more range to adjust the advance. The red light on the crane module. What does that mean when the light comes on. 

Edited by zdude1967
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, zdude1967 said:

7tooZ

So just unscrew the silver screw and move the module clockwise and adjust using that extra play in the banana shaped bracket. That will give more range to adjust the advance. The red light on the crane module. What does that mean when the light comes on. 

I believe it indicates the spark sent to the plug. Same as when the timing light is get the signal. My limited knowledge make me think that if the rotor is pointed at at number one wire and all of your distributor marks at zero and motor at TDC (or close) your timing light should be indicating zero degree. Then adjust distributor to to 7 BTDC or what your manual states. I then adjust timing in small increments based on how feels when driving a hot motor. Mine 240 is at 7 initial and my vacuum advance is working with full advance.  

7tooZ

I am sorry I was not clear with my question.You said  you should be able to point the rotor at number 1 cable then rotate the module on the bracket until the red light come on. Do you mean slide it on the banana shaped bracket and is the red light the one on the crane module. Slide it until that light comes on?

‘No, moving the  module I s the last thing i did.  As I understand you located TDC, you have a pointer or created one. Mark your balancer, it is on the PS of the motor near the top of the balancer.  Set your oil pump drive spindle to the 11.20 position. Instal the rotor. It should point to the number one plug wire. If not rotate the distributor until it does. I use a sharpie to Mark the outside of the distributor so you can see where it is without the cap. Now you are a TDC with the rotor and distributor set the number one on compression. Turn on your key and slide the module along the mount until the light on the box comes on. Now you should be a zero degrees advance. Install the cap and install the wires following the firing order. If it doesn’t start rotate the distributors clock wise. 

@Zed Head I did not have time to reread the full post. I am I missing something

961C0923-CBEE-4D7C-A164-3FDA51157FE0.jpeg4833DAB7-1468-4FC9-8EEC-BED1C86CDEEC.jpeg9E3BCDBE-1E73-419A-97D7-50B0BB48DDEE.jpegModule4833DAB7-1468-4FC9-8EEC-BED1C86CDEEC.jpeg

Edited by 7tooZ

I think that there is plenty here for zdude to get it figured out.  He got the engine started.  Understanding which way the trigger in the distributor rotates will tell him which way to adjust the sensor to get more advance.  Move the sensor in to the direction of rotation so that it triggers sooner.  That wil increase advance.  Your sensor looks like it is at full retarded timing.  No more adjustment.

zdude, you could even just move the sensor one way and see what happens to your timing, using the light.  One of the directions will cause more advance.  Move it more than you need and then you'll have adjustment at the distributor body itself.  The key is knowing that you just need to loosen that screw and slide the sensor.  Give it a tweak and see what happens.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Zed Head not really bad photo the alignment Mark is almost on the zero mark but the timing light says 7degree. Hope to spend some time at the dyno this spring. Last year I was running lean and we adjusted the carbs by feel. Time to do it again. Madkaw rebuilt my e31 head with bigger exhaust valves. 

Thanks I will work on it this weekend and see what happens. I will let you guys know the outcome. one other question if the spindle were to be adjusted to add more advance as Zed head mentioned in a prior response would it be turned clockwise or counterclockwise. 

Edited by zdude1967