IGNORED

Anyone using Amsoil with zinc additive?

mbz

22 hours ago, mbz said:

Granny, as a distributor, do you have any info from Amsoil regarding the zinc affecting the cat converter?

I'm sure the zinc Amsoil uses is the same zinc that kills cats.

1 hour ago, mbz said:

Oddly, it appears that if you add a third party ZDDP additive product to a motor oil that already has a ZDDP formula, it increases the amount of zinc and phosphors, but reduces the efficacy of the product. This may be where people are causing damage to their Cats, by adding more ZDDP to a balanced formula, it results in excess phosphors that damage the cat.

Anyone have some insights/experience with this?

I can't find it at the moment but Amsoil has a blurb about this very subject, if I remember right the zinc you get in aftermarket third party products is in the wrong formulation and just dilutes the balance of the additive package put in by the oil company whether it be Amsoil or Royal Purple or Castrol.  It might be BS I don't know but when you have entire rows of shelves in the automotive section dedicated to "mechanic in a can" products I have to wonder if all this stuff did 1/10th of what it says it does then why wouldn't the oil companies use and put the other guys out of business.

I trust the large oil companies that have engineers on staff to formulate the additives required to do the different kind of jobs that the oil is asked to do.

• Like 2

I can't find it at the moment but Amsoil has a blurb about this very subject, if I remember right the zinc you get in aftermarket third party products is in the wrong formulation and just dilutes the balance of the additive package put in by the oil company whether it be Amsoil or Royal Purple or Castrol.  It might be BS I don't know but when you have entire rows of shelves in the automotive section dedicated to "mechanic in a can" products I have to wonder if all this stuff did 1/10th of what it says it does then why wouldn't the oil companies use and put the other guys out of business.
I trust the large oil companies that have engineers on staff to formulate the additives required to do the different kind of jobs that the oil is asked to do.

I’m thinking that Amsoil, Royal Purple, Mobil, Penzoil, Castrol, etc. have figured out the proper ZDDP formulation by now so that it does little if any damage to the cats when used as intended without other oils or additives.

In 2 different vehicles I’ve been using Mobil 1 (14 year old car) and Castrol Edge (19 year old car) exclusively for the life of the vehicles. Both products have ZDDP formulas added to the oil, neither vehicle has ever failed emissions and have never had to replace Cats on either vehicle.

“WHEN USED AS INTENDED WITHOUT OTHER OILS OR ADDITIVES” being the critical point here....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Quick follow up on this....

Upon further consideration and research, it seems that the general consensus regarding "safe" levels of ZDDP (zinc & phosphorus) is about 800-900 ppm. Apparently these levels will not reduce the efficacy of the catalytic converter.

After speaking with the folks at AMSoil, they confirmed that the Z-Rod ZDDP levels are high enough to reduce the efficacy of the catalytic converter.

I explained to them that my 76' 280z needs to be smogged every 2 years.

AMSoil recommended their European Formula Improved 5W-40 Synthetic Oil, and said that several guys at AMSoil have old Z cars and use this product in their Z cars.

They do not publish their zinc and phosphorus levels on the website, but if you call and ask they will tell you.

This product has:

Zinc: 887ppm

Phosphorus: 788ppm

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/european/european-car-formula-5w-40-synthetic-motor-oil/?code=AFLQT-EA

I ordered a case and a couple of their filters too.

We'll see how it performs.

AFLQT.jpg

Edited by mbz
add product photo
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Quick follow up, so far Amsoil has been performing well. Have done several 75+ mile drives since the oil change and no issues.

Also, came across this head to head challenge between Royal Purple and Amsoil. It’s making me think I made the right decision switching to Amsoil.

Yeah, I don’t know about how they distribute or sell their product. I just ordered direct from their website and it arrived next day, free shipping, from Las Vegas. They’re probably using Super Logistics (Rakuten) for fulfillment.

I’d be curious to see if someone from the South Eastern US orders from them, if it ships from Atlanta.

1 hour ago, mbz said:

Yeah, I don’t know about how they distribute or sell their product. I just ordered direct from their website and it arrived next day, free shipping, from Las Vegas. 

Interesting company and marketing plan.  The company was started in the town where I grew up - Superior, WI.  Not quite on the edge of civilization, but you can see the edge from there.  My dad built their warehouse in the mid-1970s.  I was briefly a dealer in their pyramid marketing plan and used Amsoil in the Porsche 914 I was driving at the time, 40 years ago.  My biggest recollection was that when I switched from petroleum based oil to Amsoil in the 914 gas mileage improved greatly (32 mpg to 36 mpg, if I remember correctly) and I had to lower the idle speed significantly.  Slippery stuff.  

Dennis

Edited by psdenno
  • Like 2

I've seen the name Amsoil for years and seen comments about their "pyramid" marketing scheme but just now made the mental connection to Amway.  You don't make money until you get other people to start selling for you.  In the end everyone is an Amway salesperson.  Then... the rapture.  No offense...

9 hours ago, Zed Head said:

I've seen the name Amsoil for years and seen comments about their "pyramid" marketing scheme but just now made the mental connection to Amway.  You don't make money until you get other people to start selling for you.  In the end everyone is an Amway salesperson.  Then... the rapture.  No offense...

But a lot of the distributors also sell it as part of their garage or autoparts business so the emphasis on getting more distributors working under you is not a priority.  Technically I'm a distributor but I only use to get a discount for me and friends.

• Like 1