IGNORED

240Z Hazard switch differences

zKars

My other world is epitrochoid-shaped :)...and goes brap brap ?

My understand has always been that early S30Z's had the "Flash" switch.

Then in 71-72 there was a change to the typical standard hazard symbol we see today in most cars (Double Triangle)

Then with 73 in the North American market there was the fiber optic style Green pull out button to match the light up heater facia panel.

In terms of wiring loom differences in length, I've no idea why this changed.

On 12/9/2019 at 10:52 PM, kats said:

Gavin , I will give you this switch “ test mule “ if you need .

Thank you Kats, but I don't think it will help me. I have a switch like it, with the inside plastic piece broken in 2. The switch itself is ok, but it won't "rock" up and down now as a result. Unless someone has plastic printed this part, which I would do if it was 1 piece but I'm not sure if it is missing any parts. I tried to keep what fell out when I pulled it apart.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gav240z said:

Thank you Kats, but I don't think it will help me. I have a switch like it, with the inside plastic piece broken in 2. The switch itself is ok, but it won't "rock" up and down now as a result. Unless someone has plastic printed this part, which I would do if it was 1 piece but I'm not sure if it is missing any parts. I tried to keep what fell out when I pulled it apart.

That piece can be hand fabricated ( depending on your skills) out of Delrin plastic and a Dremel Mototool.

Delrin is dang near indestructible.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 5/10/2023 at 5:18 PM, florian said:

Today I took the left switch out of a 71 US car.

Ofcourse you mean: i took the Right switch out of the US car...

Yep.. the euro/Japan switch has just a few wires.. 3-4..  and the US has much more.. this is because the US car uses the brake lights also for direction/indicators.. and hazard. this makes it complicated. In the euro version the hazard only needs to send the signal to the orange flasher/direction indicators.

No need to say they are not interchangeable..

The French have the euro switch for as far i know.. they often have a rear light that is red on top and orange on the lower part.. NO white reverse lights on them.. (i have a set in stock.. very rare.)

Edited by dutchzcarguy

23 hours ago, florian said:

No, the switch from my picture (marked as "Japan, Euro..." on the older picture) is out of a US car.

And.. was it connected to something? Someone changed the wiringloom to euro?

By the way.. Florian, is your car White and you bought it from a guy named Sjors, here in Limburg(province)? 

That is precisely the big question. Was it retrofitted? Was it always like this?

I just wanted to document it here. Just like the "FLASH" pull switch, which has not yet been documented here.

I actually don't have a white car. Why do you ask?

1 hour ago, florian said:

Was it retrofitted? Was it always like this?

Your car is 50 years old now.. there could be changed a lot in that time. It's totally possible that it has a euro wiring loom now.. pictures of the cables would explain a lot..

Does your car have the euro or the US rear lights? Euro has more wires as it has different lights for brake and indicator lamps.

1 hour ago, florian said:

I actually don't have a white car. Why do you ask?

Few years ago there was a good white car for sale not very far from my location here in Province Limburg.. and it had a LOT of new parts in it and was a white car, the owner told me later on that it went to Germany that's why i asked! 🙂

Picture of the car would be nice!

Edited by dutchzcarguy