IGNORED

The blue 510

grannyknot

All that stress gets me to drinking. Wait a minute, all that drinking gets me to stress. Just goofing. Your work looks great! I've always been amazed at what you can do. A true car guy and I watched "Ford vs Ferrari" the other day. You are Ken Miles in my opinion. He was a true no bull**** car guy. Matt Damon/ Carroll Shelby more of a salesman. If we had awards I would put you at #1.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is that how the shop was when you shot it?  That's really amazing given all the opportunities for hidden dirt, dust, and spiders to want to get into that paint.  Gives me hope for when I do mine.

9 hours ago, grannyknot said:

it looks more like this, serious blue.

Yes! beautiful color, whats the number of that?  Mine was TK3 It's a zx color.. here in EU.

Mine is also light in the sun and almost black in the garage with low lighting..

IMG-20200620-WA0001.jpg

It was a bit clouded but in the sun the color is lighter..  TK3 looks like yours but is more metallic i guess..

IMG-20200731-WA0001 (2).jpg

48 minutes ago, ETI4K said:

Is that how the shop was when you shot it?  That's really amazing given all the opportunities for hidden dirt, dust, and spiders to want to get into that paint.  Gives me hope for when I do mine.

That's the real problem with painting in the same area where you do all the sanding, contamination is everywhere.  If I had more room I would build a painting booth in the garage but as you can see I can't swing a cat in there.  So before I start setting up for paint the gas powered leaf blower comes out and as much as possible gets blown out the door, then multiple stages of wiping down and cleaning and washing.   The last stage involves washing the floor 4-5 times then fresh plastic sheeting  goes up and just before actually starting to paint the floor gets thoroughly soaked with water and still with all that there is lots of dust particles on the clearcoat that need to be sanded out before buffing.

However, almost all the of the dust particles are soft primer dust so they sand out pretty easily, give me a couple of weeks and I'll post some pics of the final product, hopefully it will be like glass by then.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, grannyknot said:

That's the real problem with painting in the same area where you do all the sanding, contamination is everywhere.  If I had more room I would build a painting booth in the garage but as you can see I can't swing a cat in there.  So before I start setting up for paint the gas powered leaf blower comes out and as much as possible gets blown out the door, then multiple stages of wiping down and cleaning and washing.   The last stage involves washing the floor 4-5 times then fresh plastic sheeting  goes up and just before actually starting to paint the floor gets thoroughly soaked with water and still with all that there is lots of dust particles on the clearcoat that need to be sanded out before buffing.

However, almost all the of the dust particles are soft primer dust so they sand out pretty easily, give me a couple of weeks and I'll post some pics of the final product, hopefully it will be like glass by then.

I'm astonished that you had enough room to stand far enough away from the target body panel to be able to swing the gun.  If I had tried that in those close quarters, I probably would have tripped over the air hose, grabbed the plastic sheeting as I tried to keep my balance, and then dragged it all down onto the freshly-painted panel. LOL

4 hours ago, Namerow said:

I'm astonished that you had enough room to stand far enough away from the target body panel to be able to swing the gun.  If I had tried that in those close quarters, I probably would have tripped over the air hose, grabbed the plastic sheeting as I tried to keep my balance, and then dragged it all down onto the freshly-painted panel. LOL

That's almost happened a few times, you have to stay nimble, know where your hose is at all times and plan out your route like a dance routine and rehearse a few times, not kidding.  While your doing that be aware of how far your nozzle is from the panel, how fast is your arm is moving, are you getting good coverage and make sure you're not over spraying what the compressor can put out and catch up.  I'll take an electrical gremlin or a carb problem any day, at least with those you can walk away and think about the problem, not with painting, you're there until the last coat of clear has been shot.

Much respect for guys who do it for a living and don't cut corners.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to start with 1500 grit just to see if I could save some effort and fortunately it worked, the 1500 removed the dust particles and orange peel, then down to 2000. I've used Meguiars Pro Speed Compound in the past and had good results but I heard about Menzerna's Heavy Cut Compound so thought I would give it a try. Well it's the cats arse, it cut through the 2000 scratches easily and some of the 1500 scratches that I missed, it cuts very quickly, I have one side of the car done, about 90% polished out and I think I will leave it there until most of the car is reassembled, without a doubt there will be bumps, chips and scratches to repair by the time it's all back together.

In the first pic the panel to the left has been polished out with the Menzena's, the rest of the panel to the right still has the 2000 grit surface.

IMG_1077.JPG

IMG_1078.JPG

IMG_1080.JPG

IMG_1070.JPG

IMG_1082.JPG

Edited by grannyknot
  • Like 3