IGNORED

Lightweight Flywheels?

chaseincats

Hi guys, so I am having my transmission rebuilt soon and while its out I was considering having a lightweight flywheel swapped in.

Do any of you folks have experience with one of these on an s30?  I've read that the stock flywheel weighs around 23 lbs and all of the lightweight ones I've found online are around 10lbs.  Having a flywheel that light will make street driving difficult/frustrating I'd assume (I've heard you have to kind of 'launch' the car after each stop light)?

Are there any flywheels/weights you'd recommend for improved performance within reason (I only drive this in the city/freeway and never on the track).

Side note: Right now, the clutch pedal is easy to depress especially compared to modern cars (fully depressing the clutch pedal is probably about as hard as flooring the brake pedal).  Is this the standard OEM feel for s30s?  (I'd like to get a replacement clutch kit/pressure plate with the same amount of pedal force (trying to not get a hard clutch pedal))  

Any ideas?

-chase

8 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Thanks so much, I didn't see that somehow.

Regarding the clutch pedal pressure on the OEM pressure plate/clutch style - how tough should it be to press these pedals down?  I will be replacing mine and want to keep it like what I am using now (very light pressure required).

Basically asking if I buy OEM spec clutch/pressure plates how tough will it be to clutch in?

-chase

I really like my 11lb aluminum flywheel. My cars revs like a motorcycle and is any different to drive than my stock 280s flywheel.

I read that a stage 3 clutch is a lot harder to push in and will wear your leg out if you're not used to one. I went with OE spec Exedy kit. $100 from Amazon. I will suggest you have the throwout bearing pressed on at a machine shop. The one I put on my self has a slight spinning sound when not engaged. I didn't get it down far enough I suppose. The one I had done is quite and it seems like he only charged $10.

16 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

I really like my 11lb aluminum flywheel. My cars revs like a motorcycle and is any different to drive than my stock 280s flywheel.

I read that a stage 3 clutch is a lot harder to push in and will wear your leg out if you're not used to one. I went with OE spec Exedy kit. $100 from Amazon. I will suggest you have the throwout bearing pressed on at a machine shop. The one I put on my self has a slight spinning sound when not engaged. I didn't get it down far enough I suppose. The one I had done is quite and it seems like he only charged $10.

Great information, thanks!

Which brand flywheel did you go with?  Also, I've heard that these light flywheels (single mass) make this chattery noise (sounds like a diesel truck) - is that the case with yours?

Mine is a Tilton or Tifton maybe? Anyway it's aluminum except the contact surface.

I don't know what a single or double mass flywheel is. It came with a 240 project car I bought off a dude years ago.

My only recollection of clutch chatter is when they get burnt, hot spots on the friction ring from "riding the clutch". Holding your car on a hill with the clutch instead  of the brakes.

I always have mine cut down to fresh metal when I change out a clutch.

Cliff

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 1

I had problems with a dual mass flywheel on a 1995 Porsche 911.  The rubber that should've kept the two metal sections apart had failed to do it's job, and the flywheel would make clunking (metal on metal) sounds as load on the flywheel changed while driving.  In my opinion, the single mass flywheel is simpler and the extra drivetrain noise, when the drivetrain is in good working order, isn't a big deal.

Edited by SoCalJim
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

MSA sells the Fidenza, but their web site says, "Clutch Note: Centerforce II or ACT™ clutch strongly recommended at minimum. Not for use with stock or Centerforce I clutches."  The stock 240z clutch and the Fidenza seems like a popular pairing.  Why is MSA strongly advising against the stock clutch?