IGNORED

"The Orange"

motorman7

Started cleaning up the differential.  I will leave the back cover bare aluminum and paint the main housing the standard black color.  Would have painted the diff tonight but it is actually raining out.  Doesn't happen very often here in So-Cal.  Cover bolts are out at the plating shop and should be back in a couple weeks. 

The Energy Suspension Kit and shocks will arrive tomorrow.  Hopefully the engine will be back from the machine shop by the end of the week,

DSCF8628.JPG

DSCF8731.JPG

DSCF8736.JPG

DSCF8738.JPG

DSCF8742.JPG

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Patcon said:

I am working on a similar looking diff. I was going to use a wire wheel to clean it up. What did you use?

Do all of the mounting studs thread out of the covers?

Yes, used wire wheels for clean-up.  I have a number of different styles and used most of them.  Will use the steel wool and phosphoric acid for final rear cover clean-up and shine.  That seems to work well together.

The mounting studs came out 'by themselves'.  The locknuts seem to hold on to the studs better than the rear cover.

• Like 1

Still cleaning up parts here while I am waiting for the zinc plated parts to return from the plating shop.  Got the engine re-build kit on order along with new brakes pads, shoes and their respective rebuild kits.  So, should have a lot of stuff coming in over the next week.  

DSCF8743.JPG

DSCF8745.JPG

DSCF8748.JPG

DSCF8750.JPG

• Like 2

Just found this thread after our conversation the other evening.  Motorman, is the exhaust manifold similar to that out of my blue Z?  Since this is even earlier than mine (a 10/72 car) does it also have the '72 style manifold vs the later manifold design?

On 11/23/2019 at 3:15 PM, jayhawk said:

Just found this thread after our conversation the other evening.  Motorman, is the exhaust manifold similar to that out of my blue Z?  Since this is even earlier than mine (a 10/72 car) does it also have the '72 style manifold vs the later manifold design?

No, this one is different.  Actually, the entire manifold set-up is different and the intakes are definitely from an earlier model.  I am planning on keeping the entire intake assembly as is, but would  like to put the exhaust manifold from a 71-72 on this so it looks a bit more uniform, like a 72 motor.

Got the springs on the struts after cleaning and painting the top mount caps.  Re-built both rear brake cylinders and installed new springs and shoes on rear struts.  Also painted the differential.  Started work on the front calipers.  Also got my yellow zinc parts in today so now I can start the suspension assembly.

DSCF8773.JPG

DSCF8766.JPG

DSCF8767.JPG

DSCF8769.JPG

DSCF8771.JPG

DSCF8778.JPG

DSCF8782.JPG

DSCF8784.JPG

DSCF8787.JPG

DSCF8785.JPG

DSCF8775.JPG

• Like 3

2 hours ago, grannyknot said:

I have never split a stock caliper before, are the Orings a standard size?

The O-rings come with the caliper rebuild kit. Rebuild is not too difficult.  Hardest part is getting the 'pistons' out of the caliper, especially if the car has been sitting for awhile.  I typically put Kroil or PB blaster around piston edge and let soak for an hour.  Then use compressed air to blow piston out of the caliper.  That is the hard/scary part.  Wear glasses and point piston away from body when doing this. I then use solvent to clean piston and cylinder, then light polish with 2000 grit sand paper. Blow compressed air through orifices to make sure they are clear

The tiniest scratch in the bore will leak.  My car had a faint scratch from the wire spring that holds the dust seal in place.  The PO must have let it slip and it scratched the bore.  It worked fine but let a few drops of fluid leak after each drive.  Took me a while to figure out why my tire had fresh liquid on it on a dry day.  The PO also put the calipers on the wrong sides.  He put the work in but just missed on the results.

9 hours ago, motorman7 said:

The O-rings come with the caliper rebuild kit. Rebuild is not too difficult.  Hardest part is getting the 'pistons' out of the caliper, especially if the car has been sitting for awhile.  I typically put Kroil or PB blaster around piston edge and let soak for an hour.  Then use compressed air to blow piston out of the caliper.  That is the hard/scary part.  Wear glasses and point piston away from body when doing this. I then use solvent to clean piston and cylinder, then light polish with 2000 grit sand paper. Blow compressed air through orifices to make sure they are clear

I only had my fingers crushed once blowing the pistons out, now use a piece of wood between them and wrap the whole thing in an old T shirt before giving it air, it keeps flying pistons and brake fluid spray to a minimum.

• Like 2