IGNORED

"The Orange"

motorman7

Yes, the underside of the car is one of the best I have seen.  Just a few minor depressions in the frame rails which I may just correct with some filler.  Otherwise the floor pans are near perfect. 

There seems to be a number of bondo areas on the car itself and the doglegs are pretty rusted.  Probably a result of its time in Pennsylvania.   Miguel will cut these areas out and weld in  new patch panels.

• Like 1

Looking forward to this project. I am a friend of the owner and strangely enough, although I have always loved Z cars, and owned a '70 240 and a '78 280, I did not know she had this car! Came up over dinner a few months ago and when I received the link to this blog it was no surprise I was already a member of the site!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TMagda said:

Looking forward to this project. I am a friend of the owner and strangely enough, although I have always loved Z cars, and owned a '70 240 and a '78 280, I did not know she had this car! Came up over dinner a few months ago and when I received the link to this blog it was no surprise I was already a member of the site!

Good to hear from you!  Look forward to your comments and input as the build progresses.

Here is a little more background.  This car is a very early '73 with a build date on the drivers side plaque of 9/72.  The serial number is 122XYZ.

The owner of this car contacted me after meeting the new owner of the orange Z that I sold last year.  The owner of my orange Z provided the information to her and we were able to discuss the restoration of this car.  Funny how things work out, small world. 

Early on, we were discussing moving back to the original Flat Tops, however, after reviewing the extra parts, there were no Flat tops or original balance tube.  Also, a number of the unique '73 tubes were also not present.  So the better way to go was to stick with the current SUs.  And, since the SUs and balance tube look near brand new, we will stick with these.

For the interior, the only changes we will make is to install an original radio and install the diamond vinyl onto the center console.  The rest of the vinyl looks like it just needs to be cleaned up.  For the seats, there are new, good quality seat covers and foam that we will install so that the seats match.  I will be very careful removing the original vinyl from the passenger seat.  We will want to save that. 

• Like 2

Continued removing parts.  Did mostly interior this evening.  Looks like Dynamat over the entire floor of the car.  I think we will keep most of that except for the Dynamat on the tunnel.  That was put over the original diamond vinyl.   

The spare looks great and original.  Not holding pressure, but it looks great and spare tire well looks pretty clean.

Removed the AC and Heater panel.  Almost ready to pull the dash.

DSCF8535.JPG

DSCF8536.JPG

DSCF8544.JPG

DSCF8545.JPG

DSCF8546.JPG

DSCF8556.JPG

Continued disassembly.  Got the Dash out and most of the interior out on Saturday.  Got the motor, muffler and transmission out today and started the brake line removal.  Took a lot of electrical pics.

I removed the interior vent ducts and noticed that a small passenger had set up his home in the driver side vent.  Nice spot, much better than under or in the seats.  Looks like he was prepping for the cold Pennsylvania winters.

DSCF8598.JPG

DSCF8602.JPG

DSCF8588.JPG

DSCF8591.JPG

DSCF8585.JPG

DSCF8596.JPG

DSCF8593.JPG

DSCF8571.JPG

DSCF8560.JPG

DSCF8574.JPG

DSCF8584.JPG

• Like 1