IGNORED

Stock Valve Cover Finish

Call me skeptical, but I'd be very surprised to hear that they painted the valve covers. Maybe, by some wild stretch.... Maybe someone could convince me that the very early valve covers got some paint, but by the time they got to the NISSAN OHC covers? I'm very skeptical.

Frankie, Is the inside painted? Can you use the same solvent you used on the outside and see if anything comes off the inside?

I do know (from unfortunate yellowing and peeling experience) that they clear coated the later valve covers. I don't know if they did that all along, but by the end, they were.

44 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Call me skeptical, but I'd be very surprised to hear that they painted the valve covers. Maybe, by some wild stretch.... Maybe someone could convince me that the very early valve covers got some paint, but by the time they got to the NISSAN OHC covers? I'm very skeptical.

Frankie, Is the inside painted? Can you use the same solvent you used on the outside and see if anything comes off the inside?

I do know (from unfortunate yellowing and peeling experience) that they clear coated the later valve covers. I don't know if they did that all along, but by the end, they were.

Well Captain, I did try and the solvent has no affect on the inside. It is bare aluminum with no coating. I also believe this cover was never used due to the sealant on the inside not being stained from oil.

FCC714D5-E4DF-4D32-A9AD-F7ABCB494720.jpeg

Edited by Frankenstein

Yeah, that's what I figured. I didn't think the inside would be coated. Even if they did coat the outside, I would guess they were less worried about the inside. Not only the because you can't see it and they don't care as much, but it's also in an oil bath.

So the real question is... Is that silver paint factory, or was it applied by someone else in the past?

I don't really like the look of the sealant on the PCV baffle cover on the inside either. And the soft corners on the machined bottom surface. The ones I've messed with were machined and barely deburred. You could still slice open a knuckle if you caught that edge wrong. Yours looks like it had sandpaper run along it to soften the corners. I do that when I work on stuff, but the factory usually never does.

Wish I could help more. I really don't know.

I can't help wondering....

I have seen OEM parts for other old cars, some produced after the series production for which they were intended, that had a protective coating to enhance their shelf life.

Just a thought...

14 minutes ago, ensys said:

I can't help wondering....

I have seen OEM parts for other old cars, some produced after the series production for which they were intended, that had a protective coating to enhance their shelf life.

Just a thought...

This could be exactly what they did for this replacement part. Was supposedly hanging on a guys wall in office for over 35+ years. Maybe they did not do it for the cars being delivered brand new. Who knows, thanks to everyone for their input.

9 hours ago, Frankenstein said:

my rag starts to turn silver. I’m thinking I either messed up, this thing has been painted, or maybe they put something on at the factory. I pulled the stickers off and underneath they have the same silver that comes off with a rub and some thinner. It looks like paint. 

Somebody used silver paint.  That is not a clear coat or typical protective finish.  I have no idea what Aitoku does or did but your after sale replacement cover has silver paint on it, by your description/  Maybe Aitoku was given the contract to produce replacement covers and that's how they did theirs.  Painted them silver.

So, in car show terms it's not "factory" so you'll get dinged.  In historical terms it might be a bona fide replacement valve cover, part of the complete history of the cars.  But you have to destroy the Aitoku history to win your car show points.  Seems ironic.

• Like 1

So who is Aitoku? Is that supposedly the company that cast the valve covers?

Seems weird to put that label on it that talks about making sure you have oil. "NOT INSTALLED ANY OIL ON THIS ONE!"

Like someone bought a valve cover from the local Nissan dealer 35 years ago with the intent of making it a show piece or collectors item? Who does that for a car that's only ten years old? The labeling just makes it weirder.

I don't think that anyone knows what's up with that valve cover.  How many valve covers get replaced on these cars?  They don't get dented like steel covers, and the paint doesn't get chipped 'cause they're not painted.  If it is real, how many have been sold?  Probably not many at all.

It might be real, it might be fake, Frankenstein might have gotten ripped off, but it still looks right so will probably get some points in a car show.  Maybe he just overpaid.

Even bare ( cast ) aluminium can have different finishes. A light coat of heat resistant mat paint from the factory would make sense.

The inside of the cover obviously would be bare aluminium since the oil film wil protect it. And they wouldnt want to risk paint coming of on the inside would they

But anyhow it's a good question..

Edited by bartsscooterservice