IGNORED

L28 from 82 ZX teardown

Av8ferg

Finally got my F54/P79 engine in my garage. I’m going to start tearing it down for a complete rebuild to install in my 77z. Has 164k miles on it and is a guaranteed engine. Was a deal $408 out the door, no core. I might need some help as this happens so wanted to start a new thread for anyone wanting to guide me along.

2231825c24491a644f1e03426b5548bf.jpgfe666fee15e05929b1db448be428c6b3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Cliff,
Thanks, all great advice. I need to be disciplined because otherwise I’ll have a mess trying to put all the little things back on. Great advice.
Tomorrow I’m going to try and pull the Intake an exhaust manifolds . Charging the go-pro so I can record watch it later Iliad I need to. Already broke my first bolt on the heat shielding between the manifolds.

Okay, got the manifolds all off without breaking a bolt. Whew!! I let the bolts soak overnight in a penetrating oil and they came off in a breeze.

Here are the first looks at the head and and cam. Looks dirty but I don’t see anything the looks like a problem.

8db50712b5ae59323ed9f37f6397a22a.jpg
602de3b2280371fa3b03560fcb56d928.jpgec75d5322b27c283589a6129b9389199.jpgf7525e141adf1f30257ba6af71111b6c.jpgd74ff9eca5813072cbf43f756020c113.jpg

• Like 2

Awesome! Looks great so far. One broken bolt on an manifold heat shield? You're ahead of the game!

Crack the front main pulley bolt loose before you take the head off. The friction from the valve train will help hold the crank while you loosen the big bolt. And also you won't run the risk of bunching up the chain in a tangle and wedging something. You'll probably need an impact wrench. Do you have one of those?

And then when you go to pull the head, remember the special procedure for loosening the head bolts. And don't break any of them!   :ph34r:

Did the car have 164K or the engine.  That emblem glued on to the engine is not a Nissan factory thing.  It looks like it's a fairly fresh reman.  You might find that everything is almost new.  Might be ready to go as-is.  Stop and think.

Someone ot there has probably seen this before.  @240260280z 

image.png

• Like 1

Good catch Zed Head!  I need to pay better attention.  Didn't even think about that.

I have seen those, on my Camry as a matter of fact.  That head's been rebuilt I bet.  The glue or silicone holding that button on gets too hot and it falls of, voiding the warranty.

"heat tabs"

Image result for heat buttons on engine head

Edited by siteunseen

So the question might be are you rebuilding it for fun or to make it better?  I'd at least check valve lash and the cam sprocket notch and groove, just to see what the wear is on the valve train.  If it's freshly refreshed you'd be wasting money to mess with it.  The cam lobes look new.  It might end up in worse shape when you're done, no offense.

Sorry to the guys looking for internet entertainment.  I'm one of them...

• Like 1